Re: Proto 1000 Alxo RS2

I have never tried a P1K locomotive. What kind of performance (smooth

>operation? slow speed, quiet?) can I expect from a P1K loco? I assume they >have to have a cheaper drive unit than a P2K engine, is that true? Thanks >for your help. >-- >Paul McGraw >Seaboard Air Line Atlanta Subdivision >Lawrenceville, GA > >

Another ambiguous answer: It depends Paul.

I had good luck with P1K motors up until last Saturday. I took a group of my Proto

1000 DL109s, which I had previously not run, over to Smokerise to the North Georgia Modurail meet. These were still stock, in the box, DL109s with Digitrax DH121 decoders installed. I was embarrassed by the things running like apoplectic grasshoppers. I brought them back home and started examining them to try to find the problem. What I discovered was that They ran fine with two digit addresses and did not run acceptably with four digit addresses. I replaced one of the motors with a precision instrument motor. The unit ran fine with either two or four digit addresses. I put the original P1K motor back in and replaced the DH121 with a DH142. The unit ran fine with either two or four digit addresses. All four of them ran perfectly fine with DH 142s installed, but would not run with the DH121 AND four digit addressing. The folks at Digitrax just said "Huh?" That's the first time we ever heard of that."

Well, yes, that's the first time I'VE ever heard of that either.

Anyway, I elected to replace the DH 121s with DH 142s since they work fine and the cost is less than swapping motors.

As far as regards the P1K RS2, I will get as many as I can get since the RS2 was the primary road switcher used by my prototype. If I have to replace the motors, then I guess I will.

Lawrenceville, GA

Reply to
Froggy

Intesting story. I also use Digitrax, but have never had that problem. I am interested in the RS2 for my Seaboard layout. My layout is still in the plywood and track laying stage but would love to get some feedback on what I have done so far. Since you are also in Lawrenceville, GA would love to have you and your spouse over for coffee and desert some time. If interested send me a private email.

Reply to
Paul McGraw