S-Scale New Locomotives/cars & Vintage Track?

Will new locos and cars work on the vintage American Flyer track?

Reply to
Fizzbin

Thanks! I was going to use some brane new American Flyer track to bridge a gap, since IMO it seems more sturdy.

What is the cheapest transformer I can get away with? I read that new locos that are made for AC will also work with DC. Can I get use a Bachman 6607 trasnformer for example?

Reply to
Fizzbin

Do S-scale motors tend to draw more amps?

Reply to
Fizzbin

Hello, and being of a certain age I remember the Gilbert AF displays in department stores of the era and still have a functioning AF train set. Lionel products seemed to be more popular but it's hard to imagine track any more robustly constructed than the AF original. Even that paper insulation on the track ties is extremely durable IMO. I admit bias but I still think that the 1/64 scale factor is an ideal tradeoff between model size and ease of repair and maintenance (especially when you're a kid). That Gilbert stuff from New Haven was built to last. Sincerely,

Reply to
J.B. Wood

I agree, and I'm not of that age. I'm hoping to get a modern transformer with enough current.

Reply to
Fizzbin

Hello, again, and the solution back in the day was to use as many transformers (and fiber pins depending on what you wanted to control on the layout) as necessary and also, since they didn't use polarized plugs back then, making sure they were phased correctly when plugged in. I usually dedicated Gilbert's smallest transformer (the one that came with the starter layout packages) for powering and dimming street lamps and other building illuminations.

The one design problem IMO with that small transformer was a metal-on-metal sliding contact between the secondary winding and the

0-15 VAC voltage (train speed) selector. Eventually some of the secondary turns end up being mashed flat resulting in shorted turns and overheating of the transformer. Sincerely,
Reply to
J.B. Wood

I see a few Lionel transformers from 1985+ but they only have 7VA - which at 18V comes out to 0.4~A. My layout won't be big so know I can get away with a small transformer, but if it doesn't have anough current to run the loco its a waste. Are you aware of any particular (non vintage) power suply that might work?

Justin

Reply to
Fizzbin

Why not choose a Maerklin transformer, they are available in 110/120V and 18 and 30VA. I don't know if the current production is still of the old-style electromechanical type, but anyway those are available on ebay, I just checked.

Reply to
Andreas Neumann

Hello, and the reason I stuck with the vintage stuff was more of aesthetics and keeping everything "all Gilbert" as much as possible.

If looks aren't all that important then almost any adjustable power supply of appropriate ratings would do the job. Check out vendors like MFJ Enterprises, MCM electronics, Digi-Key or Jameco Electronics. Sometimes you can even find used laboratory-grade power supplies from companies like Lambda at hamfests. Good hunting,

Reply to
J.B. Wood