Stripping wire in the middle question

Edward A. Oates wrote:

Agreed. Some insulations (Teflon for one) are difficult to remove as described. Some char and leave residue that must be scraped off the wire or the solder won't stick, and some produce really annoying fumes. Older cloth covered wire will char and perhaps burn (lots of different fabrics were used). There's also the fire danger in confined spaces, like under a layout. The burn/melt technique, and others, are also difficult to use when the wire to be stripped is one in a tight bundle of wires (especially if they're 'laced' together).
Still, it's fast and simple, *IF* it works for the job at hand.
Dan Mitchell ===========
Edward A. Oates spake thus:
[...]

Well, there's an easy answer for that: get a real mail/news client. (Should have warned you that you wouldn't like it, but there it is.)
Like Thunderbird (my current). Lots of other ones available for free.
--
To the arrogant putzes at NBC:

Do we call the country Italia? Is its capital Roma?
in article 44160095$0$3701$ snipped-for-privacy@news.adtechcomputers.com, David Nebenzahl at snipped-for-privacy@but.us.chickens wrote on 3/13/06 3:30 PM:

I should use a real news reader, but Entourage puts everything in one conveient interface (mail, news, calendar, address book, notes, tasks, and project center) and is well integrated with the rest of MS Office. I've tried the Office wanna-bees from Star to Think. No go. All bad: even worse the MS. Even the Mac tools (mail, ical, pages, and keynote) don't deal completely with Word, Excel, Powerpoint et al documents, which I require. But my script fixes the issue as you can see by this nifty bottom post (euuuwwwww, to paraphrase Mr. Caple).
If I was a real man, I'd get Linux and write all my software from scratch...but I did that for a living for too long, so I've gotten lazy.
--
Ed Oates
http://homepage.mac.com/edoates
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:44:46 GMT, Edward A. Oates wrote:

I always figured the bottom posters (eeeuuuwwww - visions of Vlad the Impaler) just either hadn't yet procured a decent threaded newsreader or had but hadn't figured out to read stuff in thread order.
--
Steve

in article 14wmuw6isb50w$.qr85wpt576ni$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net, Steve Caple at snipped-for-privacy@commoncast.net wrote on 3/13/06 2:28 PM:

No, my MS newreader (Entourage) almost does the right thing. I fixed it by wriing a script which I will use to reply so appease the (eeuuuwwwww) bottom-post-a-phobics. But since I've been useneting and emailing for about 38 years (including pre-arpanet release testing), at least I have old guy status going for me. And in a few hours, I'll forget this entire thread ;-}
--
Ed Oates
http://homepage.mac.com/edoates

Fine, you're gone...
... more for bad attitude than top posting...
--
Evaluating all GUIs by the example of Windows is like evaluating all cars
by the example of Yugos.

I don't think it's a good idea to slice the wire all the way around unless you are really accustomed to cutting insulation this way. It's very easy to cut the wire when you ring it with the knife or cutter. When you slice a small piece off the side the cutting tool is almost parallell to the wire reducing the chance of cutting it. Of course , some people are better with tools than others. This works fro me. I also separate my bus wires by 12" or so wherever I can for easier access and no danger of them ever getting together.

I agree 100% . I always solder unless it's just a temporary connection for an accessory of some sort.
Ken Day

An alternative to stripping and soldering is to use tap splices. They're a lot faster and easier. They pierce the insulation and require just one squeeze of a pair of pliers. The only problem is that they're made for connecting two wires of the same (or near same) size.
Bus bars are a perfectly viable alternative.
-- Bill McC.

Bill,
At our club, we have been using Scotchlok IDC T-Tap Disconnects for attaching feeder wires to bus wires. The T-Tap is an insulation displacement connector that is attached to bus wire. We use lineman's pliers to squeeze the tap onto the bus wire, but I suppose any good pliers would do. The tap provides a connection for the feeder wire. Just crimp a standard 1/4 in. male blade connector onto the end of your feeder wire, and it will fit the tap. The big advantage of this system is that connections can be broken, and then reattached, which can be helpful when you are trying to track down a short.
We have been purchasing the taps from Mouser. Here is a link to the catalog page:
    http://www.mouser.com/catalog/625/1102.pdf
Make sure you pick the right size tap for your bus wire.
The male blade connectors we have been able to purchase at Home Depot.
Hope this helps.
Alton Highsmith

Alton,
I have always been afraid of 'suitcase connectors'; your club's approach appears to be _much_ better and I will give it a try. I use screw terminal strips to allow breaking circuits when needed; the blade terminal would avoid many of those strips. Too bad I have most of the bus wiring done <G>
--
73 de KT0T
Bob Schwartz

What you describe sounds ideal. Thanks for the link, but I'm a little confused (unfortunately, not unusual!). The connectors C and D at the top of the page look like the type I referred to. Which are the ones your club uses? None of the ones on the page look like they'd could work with blade-type disconnects on the tap wires.
-- Bill McC.

Oops!, I found them near the bottom of the page ... never mind! -- Bill McC.

Bill,
Look on the right side near the bottom of the page. They are just above the pictures of the direct burial splice kits. The Mouser stock numbers are 517-951K, 517-952K, and 517-953K. Our club has been using the 517-953K connectors on 12 AWG stranded bus wires. We are using 20 AWG solid wire for feeders.
Alton
I've always used a stripper of some kind from the cheap sissors kind to fancy expensive ones, whatever was available to me at the moment. I've never worried about the piling up of the insulation on one side but rather do my soldering away from it so that eventually it will come back and cover over most of the stripped area. I'll note that you often have to be quick as the insulation often likes to come back to where it was.

OK Bob , I give up. Why ? :-)

Because they can't fly? -- Bill McC.
Think global warming. I might remind you that the average global temp was warmer only 1000 years ago.

Small clip on insulation until the solder has been applied.
Donald
On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 00:57:37 -0600, Donald Kinney wrote:

Ahh, so that's what those roach clips are good for!
--
Steve

A few others have mentioned the 'suitcase' styled connectors instead of strip and solder. Also known as IDC or Insulation Displacement Connector.
On a DCC group, extensive discussion about them was made and one point clearly came out,
Use only the sizes (and types) of wire that the vendor lists for each style of connector!!!
The second was to stick to known vendors of connectors.
When the right parts are used everyone reported great success. But a number of folks responded that when they used 'cheap' versions or tried to use slightly out of specification wire, failures followed later down the road. Also to watch is some are designed for solid wire while others for stranded wire. Or one size range for solid and a different range for stranded. Follow the specifications!!
--
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.syrmodelrr.org /