Superglue solvent?

I've got a painted piece of metal with a large blob of superglue on it. I've heard of "de-bonding" agents but I was wondering if they really work? Stripping and repainting is out - the item is powder coated.

Anyone know?

Reply to
Ken Bessler

Jon Miller

Many "superglues" are water soluble over time. If the item can be left in warm water for overnight or more without damage, you might try that before resorting to stronger solvents.

Ed

in article snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com, Jon Miller at snipped-for-privacy@inow.com wrote on 1/18/05 9:14 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

Ed Oates was correct about the water. I was going to suggest soaking it in hot water, but then I read Ed's post. That will most likely work...but... if not, then you are going to have to try some organic solvents such as acetone. Acetone will positively remove cyanacrylate adhesive, but you'd better test your powder coating first. Some are impervious to acetone, some may not be. There is no way to know from where I stand. Good luck!

Reply to
Captain Handbrake

The Debonder I bought (I think it was by the Zap people) was disappointing.

Reply to
DCC Models

Fearing for my powder coat, I bought some "Quick N Gentile" nail polish remover. Ingredients lists Acetone & Water.

After 30 minutes of soaking, the superglue had mostly turned rubbery. I let it soak some more to remove the rest.

15 min later, my powder coat peeled off like a vinyl sheet.

Crap.

Thanks anyways, guys - time to strip & repaint now......

Ken

Reply to
Ken Bessler

Too bad we live in such a sensitive world...

Reply to
Cheery Littlebottom