Tinplate passing siding circuit.

I'm building a tinplate (three-rail) layout with a passing siding. I'd like one train to pull in to the passing siding and stop, and then have the waiting train continue its progress around the loop in an opposing direction.

I assume that this operation can be automated using relays. Does anyone know of a site with a schematic for this?

Thanks in advance,

Chas.

Reply to
video guy - www.locoworks.com

?TOPIC_ID=56204 Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

A circuit using two relays to run two trains in opposite directions on an oval with a single passing siding is described in the Kalmbach book "Greenberg's Wiring Your Lionel Layout Vol 2 Intermediate Techniques" ISBN

0-89778-372-7.

Back in the 1950's, there was a circuit that used no relays in the Lionel sponsored Bantam paperback "Model Railroading". This was for a layout with two passing sidings on opposite sides of an oval. The scheme employed stopping sections on both passing tracks made by insulating both running rails from the rest of the layout. OSS control sections with the running rail insulated were used on the single track between the sidings on one side of the layout. The insulated rail on the OSS sections was connected to both stopping sections. The system worked by a train passing over the OSS sections grounding (through all its wheels and axles) the stopping sections, allowing the second train in that was stopped in a passing track to start into the opposite single track. When the first train then arrived in the passing siding stopping section, there would no longer be a train on the OSS sections, the stopping section would not be grounded, and the second train would stop. The other feature was to connect the control posts on the opposite turnouts together, so the non-derailing feature of one turnout would align another to properly route the trains into the sidings. It works very well, and uses no extra relays. Geezer

Reply to
Geezer