Layout w/ Peninsula

I was wondering how people handle train control when and if a layout has a peninsula and you are operating a train that is simply passing by the peninsula with no business on the actual peninsula. Let's assume the peninsula is 8' long x 3' wide thus creating a formidable walk around scenario.

a) Do you stop your engine [train], walk around the peninsula, and then start the engine rolling again? b) Do you let the engine[train] continue along the rails and simply walk around the peninsula and re-establish, unobstructed, visual contact?

I ask because I am considering a peninsula but I am unsure how this would affect train operations.

Thanks, Matt

Reply to
Matt Brennan

Either you leap over the peninsula or you duck under.

Another option would be to make the peninsula double decked, so that the train you're imagining going straight across the base of the peninsula would either follow under the upper level edge (a hidden yard :-) or it could go around the outer edge on a narrow shelf. (or a combination of both)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

You use a memory controller: you unplug it one one side, follow your train around, and plug it in on the other side. Or you use radio-controlled DCC.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Matt, I have a large penensula on the TM. There are four locations around the layout where hand held throttles can be plugged in so you can follow along with the train. You can do this with DC or DCC. Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Let me re-phrase my question. My first attempt was unclear.

I'll use this example as my foundation.

At train shows, you often see a train unattended as it runs the layout. And, this often leads to a collision and/or an undetected derailment. The aftermath is fairly predictable.

I am trying to determine how many home layouts have sections of track [aside from tunnels] where a train is left temporarly unattended while it moves along the tracks.

For my example, I used a peninsula as the obstacle. Picture the track running parallel to a long straight wall. As you walk along with your engine[train], you come to a peninsula that sticks out into the room. Hence, it blocks your walk path. You must walk around this peninsula. It is 8' into the room and 3' wide.

[a] Do you allow your engine[train] to keep moving while you walk around this peninsula? [b] Or, do you stop your engine[train], walk around the peninsula, and then re-start your engine?

Option [a] would indicate that your train is moving 'unattended' for the time period it takes for you to walk around the peninsula. That moment of time [short or long] could be the time a derailment, an uncoupling, or a crash could occur.

Do any of you apply option [a] on your layout?

Just curious?

Thanks! Matt

Reply to
mc_brennan

I use option a, unattended. How close do you need to be for it to be attended? I can still see it, so I think it is attended, even from 30 feet away. Some operators are in unattended mode when only 12" away from their train! :-)

Tim Lange West Lafayette, > Let me re-phrase my question. My first attempt was unclear.

Reply to
Timothy Lange

A: with an explaination. (G)

Mat, all this depends on the type of control system you are using. Before DCC, I was using the MRC Hogger. It was a base station with a hand held throttle. It needed phone jacks around the railroad so the throttle could be unplugged and moved. The base station had a memory to keep the train moving while you relocated. Now, I use DCC with wireless walk around throttles so I can follow my train as it travels around the layout. I still have DCC jacks around the layout for the throttles that need to be plugged in to operate or in case of an emergency with the radio throttles.

Reply to
Frank Rosenbaum

Hi Matt,

I use option [a]. One of my railroads is completely autonomous while the other is under DCC control. I will start a DCC train and let it run - if I am following it, I use either the plug-in or the radio control unit. If there is a derailment I can cut power from either remote - and the system is also protected from shorts by the DCC booster.

Reply to
kt0t

You've identified a control situation that almost everyone fails to recognise!

- If your layout is operated in terms of "locomotive driving" then you cannot reasonably leave running locomotives unattended.

- If your layout is operated in terms of "route control/dispatcher/signal control" then you can reasonably leave locomotives running unattended. Real railroads use a combination of all the above, but generally a home layout has to be operable by a single individual to justify it's existance.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I would do the latter.