Rivarossi/Walthers: question

Can someone please clarify the Rivarossi status for me. In other words, if I were to purchase a Rivarossi Cab Forward steam engine [item #:

635-5426], would this be a NEW and improved model from the original release?

Has anyone seen a NEW Cab Forward Rivarossi engine actually operate?

I simply cannot afford a brass version as offered by BLI. Yet, I don't desire to purchase an old model from Rivarossi. Their new offerings of the 2-truck Heisler and their 2-6-6-6 Allegheny are terrific engines. I am unsure if all of their engines [as listed in the Walthers 2004 Catalog (p. 44) are of equal quality to the aforementioned duo.

Thanks So Much! Matt

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

Actually, the high cost of BLI units is not because they are brass - it's because they come with factory-installed sound systems.

Reply to
Frank Eva

What happened to Rivarossi anyway? Not too long ago there was quite a discussion on this NG that they had gone out of business, bankruptcy I believe. I think there was speculation on who might buy their line. Walthers (or someone) is advertising Rivarossi equipment in recent magazine ads.

BB in Canada

Reply to
Railfan

Can the BLI unit be purchased w/o the sound option?

And, might you know if the Cab Forward offer from Rivarossi is a new and improved version from their original offering?

Thanks! Matt

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

Reply to
Jon Miller

Jon Miller wrote: > But I suggest you compare BLI to newly released steam without sound and > you will see that the pricing is not out of bounds. All MSRP comparisons;

However, for the Cab Forward, BLI retail is now $599 on their website listing and the Rivarossi Cab Forward [TrainWorld listing] is only $199.

I question the Rivarossi offering. I am under the impression that this is the 'old, original' offering w/o new tooling, imoprovements, etc. I cannot seem to get an answer to this question as I have e-mailed Walthers and several train shops that sell [list] the Cab Forward as part of their inventory. No one has responed, yet.

I would prefer to have the option of buying these BLI engines w/o sound which [if offered] would certainly come closer in price to the Rivarossi engine that is w/o sound..

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

The Rivarossi Cab is retooled. New motor and reduction gears and the large flanged wheels are gone too.The tender is basically the same with just a number change. It is a quiet running machine and will run 15-20 cars on level track with no problem .As for the bankruptcy of Rivarossi this did occur due to a war between the representives of a the bank and the original owner of Rivarossi who sat of the board of directors .To rid themselves of the bank Rivarossi had to shut down sell Como and move to the new plant and start with new employees to escape the bank. Rumor has it that Wm. Walthers is the money supplier for the current Rivarossi company.

Sal

Reply to
TRAINDOC

Forward [TrainWorld listing] is only $199.< TrainWorld is a discounter so you need to compare to the discounted BLI when available. My understanding is many, many dealers took advantage of the BLI discount. Discounts bounce all over the place which is why I used MSRP to keep the cost comparison even. If that $200 is the engine without being redone it's a 10 footer, at least. So I don't think it's a direct quality comparison with the new BLI engine. Also I believe they are different engines!

Reply to
Jon Miller

Yes. I agree. I did receive confirmation that the Rivarossi engines are pre-2001 models. It is no comparison at any price difference when matching a 2004 BLI edition to the Rivarossi offering.

I will sit on the sidelines until I can determine how I could budget a BLI engine [assuming it is reviewed favorably]. If we are to make this purchase, I would like it to be a gem that we'll cherish for years to come.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. They have been very helpful!

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

Chances are 99.9% that the older version is no longer available, due to the fact that all engines are produced in limited runs and once the inventory is gone, no more are made. I can't believe Walthers would intentionally give someone the older version just to clear an item from the shelf - I would think that the packaging alone would give them away, especially since there are literally years between original release and new version.

Reply to
Frank Eva

Agreed. However, after further consideration, we are leaning toward a new BLI version of the Cab Forward. If they are reviewed well by folks on this NG, by folks at train shows, and by folks at train clubs, we'll buy the BLI model. It's a lot more cash, but it will also be DCC equipped, have sound, and I gather allof the mechanical 'workings' will be updated as well.

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

Reply to
Jon Miller

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:45:28 UTC, Matt & Kathleen Brennan wrote: 2000

Matt,

I just preordered an AC-4 from Hobbyland at $399.99. They advertise in MR. I decided to take a chance based on the earlier BLI releases.

Reply to
Ernie Fisch

Well, if you wait that long, better hope you can find one! (grin)

Since this is their first cab forward, I don't see how anything can be updated... if you know what I mean.

Frank Eva Digital Railroader

Frank Eva

I bought the Rivo Cab Forward from Model Expo back when they were the Rivo sellers here in the US. They were clearing them out big time (the price was really low), and I got one. Soon after, they lost their distributorship license and shipped all their Rivo stock back to Italy. Have no idea just how much stuff they sent back, but I do remember their Rivo sale had been going on for some time.

Now that Walthers is selling Rivo stuff, I do notice their selection isn't as wide as it was when Model Expo had it. But, the original comments about old stock still being around is a good one.

Kennedy

Reply to
Kennedy (no longer not on The Haggis!)

Yes. I was comparing the BLI to an older Rivarossi thus anticipating many [obvious] upgrades when comparing the two models head to head. Upgrades equating to a factor of two in price might be debatable, but I would rather spend $400+ and acquire the very latest in technology and features.

However, I must wait due to other pressing bills. Maybe they'll still be available when we can act on one.

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

Well, one thing you can count on is delays for BLI releases! ;-)

Reply to
Frank Eva