Receptacle on kitchen peninsula

Hi,

I think I asked a question here once before with great results. We are installing a peninsula in our kitchen and it will have the required receptacle where it meets the wall but I see now that I need one elsewhere on the peninsula. The peninsula will be totally flat granite and I am wondering what my options are for adding a receptacle without cutting into the granite and building up an unsightly box. At the far end there would be a place to put the receptacle "under" the granite but I'm wondering what is required when doing this? How much can the lip of the granite be to be acceptable if at all or if there is another solution.

Thanks in advance,

David

Reply to
dummy

Put the receptacles in the support pedestal below the granite top.

~ ~ | | | | < Wall | | R| | --------------------------------| | | Granite | | --------------------------------| | R = receptacle R | | | | | | ~ ~ Side view above, end view below

---------------- | Granite | ---------------- |Pedestal| | | R| |R ~ ~

Reply to
ehsjr

Is the granite a solid slab or do you have a "bull nose" ? Does the slab overhang the edge at some point? If so, you could glue the back of a low profile plastic electrical box to the underside of the slab and although you would have to bend down to plug into the inverted outlet, it would be out of sight. You might also check out Wiremold for some low profile power outlet strips which might fit in a tighter space. Are you using an architect?

dummy wrote:

Reply to
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

There are some nice low-profile strips made just for concealing under the lip, or under cabinets. I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to do, but a face-up outlet is not allowed in a counter top, for obvious reasons. Can you feed a circuit through the pedestal/cabinetry, and place an outlet in the side of the thing? If you are working with an electrician with much remodel experience, he can probably help with ideas.

Reply to
Long Ranger

HI,

I'm doing the electrical work myself and everything is fine up to this point. I wouldn't want a face-up outlet and I'd rather not have a big unsightly box on top of the granite its a nice open flat surface. I'm just trying to make sure I am allowed to put a receptacle "under" the lip of the granite attached to the wooden base that is holding the granite up. It seems that I can as long as I meet a few requirements like the extension of the lip and the placement below the lip.

Thanks, David

Reply to
dummy

You can place the outlet at the end of counter on the vertical face of the cabinet, cut in an outlet box ,metal with ear type flanges is best feed the wire #12 AWG Romex and protect with 1/2 " flex w/ straps .Make sure its tied in with the other outlet for GFI protection. route it in the cabinet , drill some holes, your good. place it down a few inches from the granite, maybe 6" to the top of the box Good Luck

Reply to
rtwgfp

Why not just use MC cable and avoid dealing with romex plus FMC? The BORG sells short rolls in a box

Reply to
gfretwell

Plus it's not exactly kosher to pull "Romex" into conduit.

Reply to
Long Ranger