40-pin controller IC identity?

Haven't been able to identify this controller. Don't need replacement; it's got custom code, I'm sure. Would be nice to have pin IDs.
<
http://img6.picsplace.to/img.php?file=img6/27/CliffordPCB.jpg
It's from an old Clifford Intelliguard 200 car security system, vintage early 90's.
Anybody happen to have external wiring diagram or schematic for the PCB?
Thanks.

It's a wild guess, but that's an old National Semi logo. I'd check the COP8 family, because it's low cost, e.g. COP888CG (comes in a 40 DIP).
Frank
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 00:41:06 -0700, Frank Raffaeli wrote:

National MM9224.

COOSN-266-06-25794

Nice work, Meat. Made obsolete in '97, apparently: <http://www.national.com/obs/
Obsolete Part    Alternate Part or Supplier    Source    Last Time Buy Date    Distributor 1.     MM9224-VUL     NONE     NONE     12/31/97     N/A
--
W "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
. | ,. w ,

Almost certainly not. 9224 is the date code.
On 17 Mar 2007 08:56:38 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com put finger to keyboard and composed:

AFAICT, the date code of Q15 is 9920 and for the relays it is 9807. Would it make sense for a manufacturer to use old mask ROMmed stock in a new design?
- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar ( snipped-for-privacy@iinternode.on.net) writes:

Something that's mask programmed, you don't want to buy in small quantities. Hence so long as the design is still viable, you don't want to change things until you absolutely have to (such as running out of that mask programmed device, or something else is just no longer available).
Michael

Yes. Where I work, we have "masked" [actually they are OTP, but they are factory-programmed and sold as "masked"] COP micros dating back at least five years. We'll still be making those products five or six years from now, and those chips were last time buy two years ago. Less expense and trouble to do a last time buy for the product's expected lifespan than to port everything to a new micro.
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 08:56:38 -0700, zwsdotcom wrote:

Be quiet, you've ruined my moment of stardom!.

COOSN-266-06-25794
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 02:17:25 +1100, Lionel wrote:

My Google skillz Rock!

COOSN-266-06-25794

Looks like a custom mask-programmed micro. It's a Nat-Semi of some variety, but I'm not familiar enough with their range of microcontrollers to make an intelligent suggestion as to which one. If you can find the right 'family' on their website, you should at least then be able to identify clocks, power & I/O pins, if that's any help to you. You might also try contacting a support person there & see if they have any ideas: <http://www.national.com/
--
W "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
. | ,. w ,
On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 02:14:07 +1100, the renowned Lionel

I'd guess it to be a COP8 8-bit CMOS microcontroller (mask programmed). Clock should be on pins 6 and 7, which it looks to be (axial-lead ceramic caps, 1/8W bias resistor and 2-pin resonator in the photo). You should see a clock on pin 6.
/Reset should be on pin 34 (but it looks to be tied to another pin).
Vcc should be on 8 and GND should be on 33.
Eg. COP688CL/COP988CL
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:40:13 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
composed:

A search of Google Groups suggests that the 16-pin chip may be a ULN2003 which would confirm that the uP has 8-bit IO ports. Tracing the ULN2003's inputs back to the uP would identify the uP's IO pins.
- Franc Zabkar

On Sat, 17 Mar 2007 12:40:13 -0500, Spehro Pefhany
composed:

The COP688 datasheet identifies pin 36 as a WDOUT (watchdog output) pin, so your observation would make sense.
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/datasheet.php?article 78138

- Franc Zabkar

Lionel wrote:

or could this be a SC\MP version of NatSemi. discontinued see heavier traces on 20 and 40 rw

put finger to keyboard and composed:

Identify the other ICs and work backwards.

AFAICT, the date codes for Q15 and for the relays suggest that it was built as late as 9920. Is this confirmed by the date codes on the other chips?

- Franc Zabkar

The 8-pin says "3-544" and is probably a 73-544 clock gen. The resonator is right there between it and the 40 pin'r.

I've owned since about mid '98. The relays were replaced maybe ~'99. Don't think the transistor was replaced, but might be.
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Could it be a house-numbered serial EEPROM, eg 93Cxx ???
According to the datasheet for the COP8 ...
port pin# function ---------------------------------------------- G4 3 SO (MICROWIRE Serial Data Output) G5 4 SK (MICROWIRE Serial Clock) G6 5 SI (MICROWIRE Serial Data Input)
I think the DIP-14 and DIP-16 IO chips should give you a clue as to the uC's port layout. I'm betting that one chip drives various external relays while the other accepts inputs from sensors.
- Franc Zabkar

Brief trace tracing:
DIP 40 DIP 8 ------------- pin 3 pin 3 pin 4 pin 2 pin 5 Pin 4

The DIP-16 does drive the relay coils.
One of them has Motorola logo, one National Semi. Other than that, the part #s have been successfully rubbed off. A ghost of them remains, but an electron-scanning microscope might be needed... (c;
Thanks.

I've used white spirit, a metal halide lamp, and the lens from an old Zent 35mm camera as a high powered magnifier. I got most of the IC numbers from a LambdaPro laser PSU, and LambdaPro grind them off to hide them. If they've only been rubbed enough to obscure them a bit, this should work on them. Try with different light and viewing angles.