Walthers? Smoking or Drinking ?

Walthers is trying sell undec first run Athearn Genesis Undecorated SD70M kits for $88 'on sale'???!!!

I have seen these collecting dust for years at half this price.

Why do companies insist on holding onto expensive inventory for years and years versus dumping and moving on to newer and fresher merchandise?

Reply to
MrRathburne

Walthers is a distributor first and foremost. Undercutting the many businesses that rely on them would be bad. They probably figure if someone is dumb enough to pay $88, all the better. Welcome to capitalism.

Reply to
Todd Mueller

I think this is the reason as well. They really cannot put items on sale as a result. It'd probably make more sense for them to contact their best train stores [pick their top performers/buyers from some list they keep on hand], and sell the items to those stores at a discounted price with the expectation that the store will then turn around and offer a bargain to their customer base.

That'd get the inventory off the shelves and into the hands of the train modelers, and it helps advance the hobby as a result.

Reply to
Matt & Kathleen Brennan

"Walthers" doesn't have the locos on sale. Terminal Hobby Shop, which I understand is owned by Walthers, does.

(Yes, I know it's only a technicality, but you and I cannot order anything directly from Walthers.)

Many of THS's sale items are below MSRP . I don't know the details of the engine in question and will defer to Rath's knowledge of their price history.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin" Operating Traffic Lights Crossbucks Special Effects Lighting

Mike Tennent

It's their choice, it's a free country. If over priced, don't buy one.

America, it's about being free to do what we want as long as it is legal.

Happy New Year to all.

Cheers, Bill S.

Reply to
Bill Sohl

Oh Brilliant, just brilliant! Wow, so new and fresh, how did you ever think of it.................?

Reply to
MrRathburne

Probably true. The catalog says Walthers. But they must have alot of cash to cover sitting on the inventory, or else there are alot of dumb dumbs out there.

Reply to
MrRathburne

Huh? How does that differ from the rest of the world? The difference is in what is legal and what is not I would think.

Regards,

DAve "Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force! Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." George Washington

Reply to
DaveW