Want a ATSF diesel with sound - what to get?

Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a good quality AT&SF diesel locomotive from the late 1940s - early 1950s that has sound already installed. I was hoping that Broadway Limited would have something, but seems like they carry E units in every road name except ATSF.

Does anyone know where I can purchase something like this? Looking for good quality engine with DCC sound already installed.

Thanks! Scott

Reply to
Scott

For good reason: ATSF never owned any E-7s, and the E-8s were rebuilds in kind of earlier E models.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Broadway Limited's E units are E7s of which Santa Fe had none. I don't believe there is anything else at this time that comes with sound installed.

J. Bright

Reply to
jhbright

You could always get the BLI E7 and put an P2K E3/6 or E8/9 shell on it. I know the A unit BLI will not fit an P2K E3/6 A unit but I have ordered a B unit and it appears this will fit P2K E3/6 B units. The A unit is supposed to fit P2K E8/9 A units but have never tied. In other words there are bashing possibilities here.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Everyone, thanks for the info, didn't realize Sante Fe didn't have E7 units.

So what about the F units? I know Sante Fe had these, but not sure if there are any that come pre-installed with sound decoders?

Thanks! Scott

Reply to
Scott

I think that "factory installed sound" is unique to Broadway Limited. There may possibly be some brass somewhere that came with it installed. In an F unit, to get a speaker that sounds like anything, you pretty much have to use a "dummy" unit.

J .Bright

Reply to
jhbright

Last question on this!

I found on Tony's Train Xchange listings for Athearn Genesis F3 units with soundtraxx low cost decoders installed.

First off, are the athearn genesis F3s any good?

Secondly, how good is the sound? Note that I'm not (at all) familiar with the sounds of "real" locomotives, so "close enough" is fine for me.

Thanks! Scott

Reply to
Scott

Ok, last question on this...

Tony's Train Xxchange has Athearn Genesis F3 units equipped with with a "soundtraxx low-cost" system.

Worth it or not? Are the genesis F3 units decent? Also, how does the Soundtraxx low-cost sound? Note - I am NOT at all familiar with soundtraxx and/or how actual locomotives sound...so "close enough" is fine for me.

Thanks! Scott

Reply to
Scott

I haven't purchased any sound yet but Athearn Genesis F units in both paint and body are the cutting edge. They look great and run great. See the paint on the F7s pass. Really Sharp!! Paul

Reply to
res0xur8

Just FYI, I just ordered a Genesis F7 A/B set with the soundtraxx low cost drop in decoder pre-installed from Tony's. Will post back once I get them (will be several weeks) on how they sound and perform.

Thanks! Scott

Reply to
Scott

Reply to
res0xur8

The Genesis shells are actually the "Highliners" which have been around for about 10 years. They just used to be considered too expensive for the extra detail, but now they fit right in. While I have purchased a pile of Genesis units I have yet to run one, so I can't comment on the mechanical. Everyone else seems to love them. Some consider them on par with the Kato.

These old Soundtraxx have four different "EMD first generation" units. The difference in the four is the horn (Wabco, Leslie, Nathan-3, or Nathan-5). The other user controllable sounds are the prime mover, bell, and dynamic brakes. In my opinion the bell is too loud relatively. I think you will be pleased with the engine sounds, it cranks up and drops out prototypically. Unfortunately it is associated with voltage to the motor rather than current draw. Mine always seem to crank up too soon. So if the whistle matches the prototype you choose I think it would be close enough to satisfy your taste.

I understand Soundtraxx is working on a current technology replacement for the units, that are supposed to be a major improvement. I've stopped purchasing them until I can hear the new ones. On the other hand I've seen some really good sales on the older units as vendors try to get rid of them before the new ones come out, in case the market for them goes away.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

I don't remember the price ever being a real problem with the Highliners F unit shells. It was availability. I bought several B unit shells in Jan.

1990 with the expectation that the A units would be out soon. It wasn't until about ten years later when Athearn got involved that they finally became available. It use to be kind of a joke that the A units would be here soon. I had heard what some of the problems were and thought they probably would never come out. I was very happy when Athearn got involved and they actually became a reality.

J. Bright

Reply to
jhbright

Just to reply, got my new Sante Fe F7s from Tony's the other day.

Absolutely LOVE the sound. Although it uses the LC Soundtraxx chips, so they are missing a few sounds (would really like a coupler clank, etc.)

Only problem I'm having is that the A and B units move at quite different speeds at a given throttle setting. Probably just due to using the Soundtraxx decoder in one, and an NCE in the other. I believe that after I adjust the speed settings, etc. this problem will disappear.

All in all - I'm a VERY happy camper. Sounds absolutely GREAT! Scott

Reply to
Scott