Passenger Car Interior Color

I am painting a undecorated standard steel observation car grey over blue as a privately own car. The car will have an interior install with no lights. Any opinions on the interior color? I am thinking of white to show the interior.

Reply to
Patrick Carcirieri

Most private heavyweight cars had varnished hardwood interiors - very often dark mahogany or similar "executive" or paneled library shades. If you are not lighting the car, perhaps you could do a faux wood grain wipe of a mid brown over a white or tan base to give a wood effect and still help to show your interior. GQ

Reply to
Geezer

Private cars tended to have wood interiors or pastel at the worst. White really isn't a nice color to have on such equipment as it is so "hospital" like and thus not a nice place to be.

-- Bob May Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less. Works evevery time it is tried!

Reply to
Bob May

Not to be argumentative, but there are probably two different paths to answer this question: 1) the prototypically correct answer and 2) the artistic or design answer.

Patrick is creating a car that "could've" existed, rather than a prototype. While wood and chrome and glass, along with the art deco pastels are probably prototypically correct, what "model" finish would best complete this effort? What finish gives Patrick a model that represents a private business car but also shows off the detail (or hides the lack of detail) of his modeling efforts?

Reply to
Carl Zager

I would go with a light tan/beige. This will give it a 'wood' look, and be light enough to let the interior be seen.

Carl Zager wrote:

-- Please note; return email address has changed. It is now snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net. Emails to Earthlink will be ignored.

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Frank A. Rosenbaum

Why not that all too familiar (in the "old" days) "Jailhouse Green" that graced the interior of every municipal building, hospital, etc. in the land?

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

For that very reason. (G)

Because 'Jailhouse Green' would be too dark in a small space like that.

-- Please note; return email address has changed. It is now snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net. Emails to Earthlink will be ignored.

The Gratiot Valley Railroad Club bi-annual train show and sale March 7, 2004, at the Macomb Community College Sports and Expo Center. Macomb County Michigan. Please visit our Web Site at:

Frank A. Rosenbaum

Try that the car is a luxury, not a utility. A nice birch or light oak finish would make for a nice light color for the interior while the redder cedar or cherry would be sort of dark.