Japanese WW2 interior color

I'm looking for the proper color for the interior of WW2 Japanese aircraft. Actually, I'm looking for an equivalent (or closely equivalent) color in the Tamiya Acrylic line, since my local shop only carries acrylic in the Tamiya line (I prefer acrylic, both for personal and for health reasons). Mail ordering a different acrylic product is an option, but I'm hoping to get lucky with the Tamiya line. Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

Reply to
Sean Magill

Sean, I don't think Tamiya acrylics give you all the options. If you are sticking to Tamiya, just go with their IJN/IJAF interior color which is a sort of blue silver. In the modern kits, I believe a mix is indicated using Tamiya colors. I'm not at home now so I can't get my refs, but check out a Gunzo Sangyo Mr. Color chart for more specific options in interior colors.

FWIW

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Thanks. By chance, you wouldn't happen to know the Tamiya number (ex: XF-34 or X-11) for their IJN/IJAF interior color?

Reply to
Sean Magill

No worries, but what's wrong with 10 seconds of Google use, mate? Next you'll be wanting me to come around to build your kits for you, please your wife, and run your business LOL

Personally I prefer the laquer-based acrylics by Gunze Sangyo, and the enamels (WEM, Xtracolor, Tamiya, etc.) which are all much harder in my experience than water-based acrylics, and smoother in application. Of course, the laquer-based ones are not so easy to brush apply (wetting agent helps), and the enamels dry relatively slowly... YMMV

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Sorry to appear anal, but top-posting sucks if you want to read threads, if you ever have to you will understand at once. It is bad newsgroup behaviour (has to do with the way computer programs sort and display newsgroup messages).

That said, here is the page you should read and keep as a reference, it is one of the best resources you will come across on the net:

So yes, X-13 can be used for the blue-metallic, but there are better sources and/or mixes depending on the particular aircraft type under discussion.

Cheers!

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

i keep bottom posting in a thread hoping others will catch on. after all, do you answer before someone else speaks. tuesday, ya moron! when do we get stupid?

that was humor...

And I keep snipping the parts I'm not replying to, hoping that others will catch on... ;)

Reply to
Al Superczynski

IMO these are absolutely the *best* model paints in existence. Too bad they're not widely available in the US (Rainbow Ten to the rescue).

Surely you meant 'adding _retarder_ helps'?

Reply to
Al Superczynski

don't ya hate that?

Reply to
eyeball

As do I most times. Sometimes I worry I'll wear out the 'Delete' button before the rest of the keyboard goes.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Sorry Al, I don't know the correct term. I'll take your word for it. Live and learn...

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

I keep other people's headers in, hoping it helps people to see who posted what. But all in all, its seems only people with an interest in Japanese aircraft interiors will get it :-)

Reply to
Gernot Hassenpflug

Way to avoid top-posting...erase entire previous message and start over. If you really want to be R.M.S with it, start over with a new subject! (how 'bout that officiating at the World Cup??)

... more humor, I hope....

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

What colour is the interior of the World Cup?

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

And who isn't? It's an obscure subject judging by the number of Japanese models not built. I used to use a Testors 'Regular' colour, Blue-Green. It's probably nowhere near right since there's no metallic element to it. I started using Pactra Flat Roof Brown for the prop blades because it looks like the 'tea' colour. Unfortunately Testors dropped the colour when they bought up Pactra. I should have sufficient supply for the kits I have left as long as it stays viable.

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

As I recall, the cup that was the world to me (when I used one) was sorta gray on the inside with little white lines on the outside of it. It also made for an excellent oxygen mask when playing "12 O'Clock High" ...

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni