Wheel train

Hi,
I'm currently in a project preparation (i.e. on paper), of an electrical train (see http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/H _6111_serie.jpg for
image).
Everything will be realistic. Dimensions should be scaled to 1:20, which means 72 m long train will be decreased to 3,6 m and the standard rail will be scaled down to 71,8 mm.
Drive system will be decreased to about 1:1000, which means 1200 kW 25 kV 50 Hz AC/1500 V DC drive will be scaled to approx. 1200 W 230 V 50 Hz AC (local grid)/12 V DC.
Braking system will, of course, incorporate dynamic braking, possibly regenerative braking, and, of course, standard Westinghouse braking cylinder system will be incorporated as well.
There's much to be done, but, most importantly, it is possible.
However, I would like to ask you to help me with wheels and wheeltrain. What is the best way and material to make whels from and how?
Tnx,
Dario
TheMystRyder skriver:

Bad link....
Klaus
On 15 pro, 23:27, "Klaus D. Mikkelsen"

sorry, this one works... http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/H _6111_serie.jpg
rgds
Dario
Dario skriver:

Not here.
Try without the "funny" characters (in this case )
Klaus
Klaus D. Mikkelsen wrote:

Works OK here (XP/SP3, Firefox).
-- Wolf Kirchmeir
On 12/16/2008 5:15 AM Wolf Kirchmeir spake thus:

As here (W2K, Firefox). Got nothing to do with the OS, by the way; would probably work just as well under CP/M.
On 12/15/2008 2:18 PM TheMystRyder spake thus:

Pardon me if I sound a little skeptical, but are you really serious about this project? From your description, it sounds like a major engineering project, involving safety considerations among other things.
Seems to me that if you knew anything about how to build such a replica, you wouldn't be asking us amateurs what materials to make wheels out of. (I can tell you that real trains use hardened steel castings, turned on gigantic lathes, but I'm guessing you don't have access to that kind of heavy equipment.)

[snip]
None of the given URLs worked for me, either.
I share some of the skepticism. 230V AC sounds downright dangerous for a model train.
That said, I make wheels out of plain mild steel and turn them on a 9" lathe. You wouldn't need equipment heavier than that, but if you don't have a lathe, forget about making your own wheels.
--
Bill Kaiser
snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu

230 VAC is to be the incoming line voltage common to residential dwellings. It is then stepped down to 12 VAC. Is it not normal for pikes?
Cheers, John
[snip]

Yes but from the original post: "Drive system will be decreased to about 1:1000, which means 1200 kW 25 kV 50 Hz AC/1500 V DC drive will be scaled to approx. 1200 W 230 V 50 Hz AC (local grid)/12 V DC."
It sounds like the prototype runs on either AC or DC, and that is what he intends for the model using 230 V from the line. Though 25 kV / 1000 is not 230 V. 25 V AC or 12 V DC would be reasonable.
--
Bill Kaiser
snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu
On 12/17/2008 7:26 AM John Fraser spake thus:

Not normal here (North America) at any rate, where our line voltage is 120 volts.
But 230 volts is dangerously high for any kind of model like the O.P wants to build, and probably totally unnecessary.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Most household central air conditioners and many household clothes driers in the US are running on 230-240 volts. Electric ranges too. That final transformer leading to your home has a 240 volt secondary coil with a center tap that allows lower load circuits to have a 120 volt potential, typically half your household's 120V circuits between the center "neutral" tap and one of the "hot" taps, the remainder connected between neutral and the other "hot" tap. That arrangement can lead to higher voltages on the "120V" circuits if the neutral connection fails between the transformer and your household load center (fuse/breaker box).
On 12/17/2008 1:14 PM RobertVA spake thus:

Yeah, I know all that. The point is that we get 120 volts out of our wall sockets, unlike the person I was responding to who lives somewhere with 230-240 volt "mains" voltages (i.e., what comes out of the socket, not what comes into the house or what one's dryer or air conditioner operates on).
On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 23:18:35 +0100, "TheMystRyder"

Corrected URL

That's a nice looking train, and with some work it should make a nice model. I don't think that you need to scale the voltage/power required because you are not going to scale the weight! Can you provide a link to this system, aside from the image?
Jim