stepping down

Is there a way to step down the voltage on a coffee pot. I have a 120 volt coffee pot that I want to use in a 74 volt system, can I make it work somehow. TIA Dave

Reply to
David

What you really mean is "is there a way to step up the voltage to match the voltage requirement of the coffee pot?"

Yes, but I am not sure their is a UL listed product to do so.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

AC or DC on the 74v side?

Reply to
SQLit

just plug it in and let it take longer to heat?

or is this one of those electronic timer controlled thingies?

Reply to
TimPerry

How about a small variac......Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Take a pretty good transformer to handle what I assume is going to be at least a few hundred Volt-amps. Can your supply, wiring, and wiring protection handle the load? Are you going to have an isolated secondary or grounded? Safety,Safety,Safety......... Are you a loco. engineer trying to stay awake? If that's not a problem, 74/120 = turns-primary/turns secondary.

Reply to
les

Yes to the loco engineer, tried a normal pot but doesn't heat properly

Reply to
David

| What you really mean is "is there a way to step up the voltage to match the | voltage requirement of the coffee pot?" | | Yes, but I am not sure their is a UL listed product to do so.

And why would that be the case?

There ought to be a law that says insurance companies may not require UL listing if there are no UL listed products for a particular need.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

What's the coffee-pot wattage?

Is the 74V at 60Hz?

?s falke

Reply to
s falke

A pot would only serve to further lower the voltage to the coffee pot. You need to boost the voltage.

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

Since 76 volts is not a standard service voltage anywhere in the world, much less the US, why would there be a requirement for such a device to exist?

Charles Perry P.E.

Reply to
Charles Perry

By connecting your 120V pot to 74V, assuming that you had about a 1000 watt pot then

74V would supply concsideraby less than 400 watts into your coffee pot. Using 2:1 transformer to supply your electricity then you'd be supplying around 1500 watts to your 1000 watt pot. (unless the overheated elements increased their resistance somewhat) This might be verrrry risky. And in my limited transformer experience would take a big transformer. I've never heard of a small (man carriable) transformer close to the ratio that you might want, but what I've never heard of could fill encyclopedias. If your battery packs are such that you could pick off 12V somewhere and use a commercial dc/ac inverter, and the coffee is worth spending for one, then I'd guess that would be your best bet.
Reply to
les

how about 12V "travel coffee maker" plus switching regulator of sufficient capacity?

TimPerry

you want to plug in a 120VAC Coffee Maker to a 74 VAC system Right ?

The only way see fit is designing an interchangable Heating Element rated for 74 VAC., is that supposed to save energy or something ? Have you stepped down all the Voltage in your Location ? do you plan to? there is Current Flow & Wattage to consider, Have you done this already? do you plan to ? It still might consume the same Energy at the lower voltage.

Try an array of inverted Peltier Chips for an Element gang them up to use up your 74volts/?Amps };-) put an end to this fuss Gus.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

They use 74 volts on railroad locomotives? Why, what could possibly use it?

I think I heard the signal lamps once used 60 volts or something like that.

Reply to
Michael Moroney

You've got to shop around then, I've n'er worked on a Loco or related Circuitry, but it's in my agenda, now, all the more. If i should find you a good Rep or Company I'll drop it off here.

The best I like about this Field is I never cease to find & learn new things.

Safe & Happy Rails to you

R.Q.T.

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

They're Robots in Disguise !!!!!

Reply to
Roy Q.T.

where would you get 74V ac from in the first place that you would want to run a coffee pot on it?

Since a coffee pot is mostly a heating element, it might just work on 74V although the heating element would only put out about 1/4 the wattage. Not that I am suggesting such a thing.

You can probably get a buck/boost transformer that would get you up to something close to 120V from 74V.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

There is no "law" mandating UL listing in the first place, at least for the most part.

Reply to
Bob Peterson

I don't think he's saying such a device must exist, I think he's saying that if no UL device *does* exist, then the requirement of some insurance companies to only allow UL approved devices should be waived and a non-UL device allowed.

But that opens a lot of issues....

daestrom

Reply to
daestrom