Which Clover House ties match Campbell profile ties?

I am going to buy some Clover House PC board ties and intermix them with Campbell profile ties #296 (like one PC tie for every 10 or 20 wood ties). From the on-line Clover House order form, it looks like they come in two heights (.031 and .062) and two tie widths (8" scale and 9" scale). I'm assuming that the profile ties match the .031 height. And, by stacking up campbell wooden ties, it looks line one tie is about as wide as two ties tall. So I'm assuming they are a scale 8" wide (because I'm assuming they are 4" high).

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Has anyone done something like this (like for turnout construction)? How well does the height of the Clover PC tie match the campbell tie?

In case you're wondering, I'm handlaying track on a hard surface (plywood) and I don't use spikes. Rather, I used carpenter's glue to fasten ties to plywood and epoxy "spikes" (a la Paul Mallery) to fasten rails to ties. I'm looking to throw in a few PC ties here and there so that I can solder the rails in place to hold them while the epoxy dries on the others. Just trying to speed things up a bit. Just like people do on the turnouts, except on the regular track.

Thanx,

Vince

Reply to
Vince

I thought he proposed using epoxy pads as tie plates, actually.

Have you tried using Barge or Goo and a quick touch of the soldering iron? I've heard of that but haven't tried it myself.

Reply to
E Litella

=>Have you tried using Barge or Goo and a quick touch of the soldering iron? =>I've heard of that but haven't tried it myself.

I've used Pliobond; stank to high heaven, but worked very well.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Ehhh, I did kind of wonder about that. Don't think I'll bother with it.

Reply to
E Litella

I've noticed that ordinary matchsticks come very close to HO scale railroad ties. Probably cheaper.

Also, there was an article in MR about laying traci using a dow (dap??) adhesive.

Reply to
larry l.

Well, at about a penny apiece, I'll take Kappler's nice sugar pine properly dimensioned ties. Matchsticks are the wrong shape (roughly square with irregularly beveled edges) and made from very coarse wood.

Reply to
E Litella