For HO scale,
Which turntable do you own?
What the advantages and shortcomings?
Does it operate reliably?
Where is it manufactured?
Which indexing system did you choose?
Add pictures here
โœ–

I have a Walthers Cornerstone 90' table installed, complete with electronic positioning. Easy to install and easy to align.
I've bought another one for the other end of the layout, and our club has one installed, too.
Both too recent to give reliability info.
The indexing is "next position right" and "next position left", so if you have lots of stalls and approach tracks, it may take a while.
Mark
--
Mark Johnson
Electrical Department

Same here. I'm usually disappointed with Walther's kits as I think they are poorly designed and don't go together well but in the case of this turntable, I'm 100% supportive. It's excellent.
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48ฐ 25' North Longitude: 123ฐ 21' West
Add pictures here
โœ–
snipped-for-privacy@highspeedplus.com says...

A friend of mine has a Walthers one too, and it's much better than the previous one he had for like 10 years, maybe more. It was ok, at first, but seemed to deteriorate over time, and stopped being even close to lining up after a while. He eventually made a manual crank drive for it and only turned it about once a year, it was just too big a hassle. When he moved and took down the layout, the section with the turntable wasn't moved, it got sold to someone in his model train club, and totally redone.
I played with it a long time last time I was over there, it seemed to be about as perfect as I could have hoped for. I did a lot of moving locos in and out of his roundhouse.
BDK
Add pictures here
โœ–

Was this the 90' HO version you're speaking of?
I've been told that the early ones (at least) developed a jerky motion after not too long.
-Pete
Add pictures here
โœ–
uh.edu says...

Well, he had it when his old dog was a pup, mine was about the same age, so about 85-86 is about the time he put it in. It jerked, and most of the time, refused to line up right the first few times. As it aged, it got worse, and it was just easier to put the crank drive, some sort of mechanism from some old barn his dad had, in and do it the old fashioned way.
I don't remember who made it, but it wasn't cheap and was pretty big as a Challenger and tender fit on it. Barely.
BDK
Add pictures here
โœ–
Keep in mind there have been two Walthers 90ft turntables.
One, of ten years ago, a kit of Walthers dubious kit quaility that was a piece of crap. I know, I bought one.
Then there's the "Cornerstone Built Up" of a year or so ago, which is just excellent.
-- Cheers
Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:- http://www.highspeedplus.com/~rogertra / Latitude: 48ฐ 25' North Longitude: 123ฐ 21' West
Add pictures here
โœ–
"Roger T." wrote:

Those Walthers kits were produced by Heljan. The mechanisim/electrification/indexing was something of an afterthought as it was a solution based on low cost. Heljan's current turntable for European markets is superb.
Arnold made (makes) an excellent TT for N gauge. Fleischmann makes two excellent TTs, HO plus an N gauge TT which can also be bought with TT scale or HO decks. (short) Roco also makes a 20m deck HO turntable. Any of these would make a good mechanism on which you could build a (larger) US TT and achieve a reliable operating TT.
Regards, Greg.P.
Add pictures here
โœ–

I'm just curious, does anyone manufacture a turntable for O scale? I don't recall ever seeing one. TIA.
Add pictures here
โœ–
"video guy - www.locoworks.com" wrote:

I doubt that there's a big enough market - although Heljan is apparently doing good business in the UK with O gauge. Converting HO turntables to O gauge wouldn't be too hard if you want a short one. I've done several fron N gauge to HO (Peco and Arnold)
Greg.P.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Atlas-O makes one. Definitely not a fast mover as pointed out by Greg.
http://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TSO/PROD/151-6910
Paul trainsetsonly.com

Add pictures here
โœ–
Paul-News wrote:

Hi Paul,
I didn't know about that one. Is there a seperate Atlas O gauge catalogue? The one I have only lists HO + N gauges.
Regards, Greg.P.
Add pictures here
โœ–
Greg P - I'll have to check when I get to the shop, but I'm fairly certain they have a separate catalog. Here's a link to their online catalog: http://www.atlaso.com /
Paul trainsetsonly.com

Add pictures here
โœ–
I couldn't find an Atlas-O catalog at the shop other than one specific to their Atlas-O line of track (which does include their turntable). I'm guessing we did have one that included loco's and rolling stock, but just cannot locate it.
Paul trainsetsonly.com

Add pictures here
โœ–
Paul-News wrote:

http://www.atlaso.com /
--
wolf k.

Add pictures here
โœ–
snipped-for-privacy@trainsetsonly.com says...

Here's the turntable:
https://secure.atlasrr.com/ato1/itemdesc.asp?CartId ={FD15AAFD-92CD-4D3D- B38B-37ECCFEVERESTAD6D36}&ici10&eq=&Tp Here's the O site:
http://www.atlaso.com /
BDK

Add pictures here
โœ–

Greg.
scale? I

apparently
want a

Greg,
Yes, Atlas-O has their own web page and a seperate catalog from the HO/N stuff. I think they were set up as an semi-independent unit, however that's described in business terms.
Len
Add pictures here
โœ–

I've seen kits advertised on the Gauge O Guild gazette: range of sizes from 42' up to 70', IIRC, and a range of types. I vauguely seem to recall one of the tinplate-revivalist firms (ACE, maybe?) offering one in ready-to-use form, but I'd not swear to that. I don't //think// anyone does a ready-to-use one in finescale O..

Certainly that woudl work fine for a 40-some' turntable (in O). It's probably the route I'm going to go down, given that the biggest things I'm going to want to turn on it are 6-wheel engines + 4-wheel tenders.
--
Andy Breen ~ Not speaking on behalf of the University of Wales, Aberystwyth
Feng Shui: an ancient oriental art for extracting
Andrew Robert Breen wrote:

Use an HO turntable as a sub-base for the mechanism and build the O scale on top to whatever size you need.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me
Rick Jones wrote:

I've done this with an Arnold N gauge TT for my HO layout after building several nasty TTs from scratch. The only downsides are initial cost (I got it cheap) and that it needs careful mounting to cut down the 'mech in plastic" noise. It works perfectly every time!
Regards, Greg.P.
Add pictures here
โœ–