For HO scale,

Which turntable do you own?

What the advantages and shortcomings?

Does it operate reliably?

Where is it manufactured?

Which indexing system did you choose?

Reply to
Ezra Kowadlo

I have a Walthers Cornerstone 90' table installed, complete with electronic positioning. Easy to install and easy to align.

I've bought another one for the other end of the layout, and our club has one installed, too.

Both too recent to give reliability info.

The indexing is "next position right" and "next position left", so if you have lots of stalls and approach tracks, it may take a while.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Johnson

Same here. I'm usually disappointed with Walther's kits as I think they are poorly designed and don't go together well but in the case of this turntable, I'm 100% supportive. It's excellent.

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

Using an Atlas turntable with built in indexing under the table to drive a scratch built pit style turntable.

Len

Reply to
Len

A friend of mine has a Walthers one too, and it's much better than the=20 previous one he had for like 10 years, maybe more. It was ok, at first,=20 but seemed to deteriorate over time, and stopped being even close to=20 lining up after a while. He eventually made a manual crank drive for it=20 and only turned it about once a year, it was just too big a hassle. When=20 he moved and took down the layout, the section with the turntable wasn't=20 moved, it got sold to someone in his model train club, and totally=20 redone.

I played with it a long time last time I was over there, it seemed to be=20 about as perfect as I could have hoped for. I did a lot of moving locos=20 in and out of his roundhouse.=20

BDK

Reply to
BDK

"BDK" wrote

Was this the 90' HO version you're speaking of?

I've been told that the early ones (at least) developed a jerky motion after not too long.

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

Well, he had it when his old dog was a pup, mine was about the same age, so about 85-86 is about the time he put it in. It jerked, and most of the time, refused to line up right the first few times. As it aged, it got worse, and it was just easier to put the crank drive, some sort of mechanism from some old barn his dad had, in and do it the old fashioned way.

I don't remember who made it, but it wasn't cheap and was pretty big as a Challenger and tender fit on it. Barely.

BDK

Reply to
BDK

Keep in mind there have been two Walthers 90ft turntables.

One, of ten years ago, a kit of Walthers dubious kit quaility that was a piece of crap. I know, I bought one.

Then there's the "Cornerstone Built Up" of a year or so ago, which is just excellent.

-- Cheers

Roger T. Home of the Great Eastern Railway at:-

48° 25' North Longitude: 123° 21' West

Reply to
Roger T.

Ezra Kowadlo schrieb:

I have the Fleischmann one, and it is great !!! The indexing is a bit slow though - next left or next right. But it is really the bees knees...

far-lands

Reply to
me

Those Walthers kits were produced by Heljan. The mechanisim/electrification/indexing was something of an afterthought as it was a solution based on low cost. Heljan's current turntable for European markets is superb.

Arnold made (makes) an excellent TT for N gauge. Fleischmann makes two excellent TTs, HO plus an N gauge TT which can also be bought with TT scale or HO decks. (short) Roco also makes a 20m deck HO turntable. Any of these would make a good mechanism on which you could build a (larger) US TT and achieve a reliable operating TT.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I'm just curious, does anyone manufacture a turntable for O scale? I don't recall ever seeing one. TIA.

Reply to
video guy - www.locoworks.com

I doubt that there's a big enough market - although Heljan is apparently doing good business in the UK with O gauge. Converting HO turntables to O gauge wouldn't be too hard if you want a short one. I've done several fron N gauge to HO (Peco and Arnold)

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Atlas-O makes one. Definitely not a fast mover as pointed out by Greg.

Paul trainsetsonly.com

Reply to
Paul-News

Hi Paul,

I didn't know about that one. Is there a seperate Atlas O gauge catalogue? The one I have only lists HO + N gauges.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Reply to
Paul-News

Greg,

Yes, Atlas-O has their own web page and a seperate catalog from the HO/N stuff. I think they were set up as an semi-independent unit, however that's described in business terms.

Len

Reply to
Len

I couldn't find an Atlas-O catalog at the shop other than one specific to their Atlas-O line of track (which does include their turntable). I'm guessing we did have one that included loco's and rolling stock, but just cannot locate it.

Paul trainsetsonly.com

Reply to
Paul-News

Wolf K.

Here's the turntable:

{FD15AAFD-92CD-4D3D-B38B-37ECCFEVERESTAD6D36}&ic=6910&eq=&Tp= Here's the O site:

BDK

Reply to
BDK

Among others, Diamond Scale Products: