any takers?

Well, my boss has just completed a fake snake with Rover V8 engine. I'll bring this to his attention just in case he feels the need of a bit more grunt!

Reply to
Nick Highfield

I think I will pass on this one Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H

is a very sobering website. Lots of interesting Spit & Hurry stuff if you have deep pockets.

I wonder if anyone buys this stuff?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

They've got some Meteor IVB's for sale from Europe. I wonder where they found them? Only £2,000 .........

Stop it, Kim, you've no room to move now!

Reply to
J K Siddorn

If it were anywhere near usable he would have had his hand snatched off by now, there can't be that many engines that can be zero-timed, and I think a discussion here a while back mentioned that this had to be done in the USA now anyway.

The number of flying Spitfires, Hurricanes and all the other aircraft that used the Merlin (and the list is quite extensive) is very restricted now, so what are you going to do with a 3/4 ton lump in your living room/workshop?

Yes, I'd love a complete one to play with, but I'd baulk at anything over a few grand, especially when its condition is unknown.

The other query that struck me, was how does the provenance of this engine get proven? The vendor says it is out of a WW2 Hurricane, how does he know that? presumably there is an engine log book with it, but I can't see that mentioned.

He mentions a reserve price but there IS no reserve price, just a starting price of 8K.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Army of the Rhine spares probably.

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

I think the reserve is the asking price of £8500 on the website Ad. Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H

Not as the auction is set up, Mike, it has to state "Reserve Not Met" if the opening price is less than the reserve. I think they've made a mistake, but a few hundred here or there is no big deal... :-))

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

====================================================== You are correct of course .I forgot the "legality" side of E-bay selling. Mike.H.

Reply to
Mike.H

Gentlermen, Becuase of the way it is set up it is possible to look at what engines were in what aircraft and what aircraft had what engines. Correct most Merlin Griffon engine rebuilds are done in the states.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Graham White's book has a very comprehensive listing of the Merlin marks of engine and the airframes they were fitted into.

Some I had never heard of :-))

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

Name a couple and Ill test my aviation knowledge :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

aircraft

At one time quite a few Merlin Griffon engines were refurbished by Aviation Jersey. Their work was mentioned in the accident reports for the demise of the Charles Church Spitfire and the BAe Mosquito. If I recall correctly the crankshaft of the former was not heat treated correctly, and with the latter, one of the carburettors was bodged. Sadly both aircraft and their crews were total loses without survivors. The Mosquito was based at Broughton/Hawarden, in the summer it was common to see and hear it twice a day most weekends.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

OK Martin, he indicates that the E-Bay Merlin is a Mk XX and came from a Hurricane. I don't think Hurricanes were fitted with that late a Mark.

For someone with two (albeit wrecked) Merlins in his garage,

made interesting - if unbelievable - reading.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

The Mk XX was fitted to:

Beaufighter II Defiant II Halifax II / IV Hurricane II / IV Lancaster I / III

First Merlin with the 2-speed supercharger.

All according to Graham White BTW

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes