Anyone into BIGGGGG electric motors?

Hi All

Anyone here move in the world of big electric motors?

I seem to have aquired a biggie - currently configured with a water pump impeller on the end of it but I'd guess that it would be easy enough to convert it to drive something.

The motor plate says it is a TECO Westinghouse rated at 37kw 1480 rpm and weighs in at 287kg. There are other figures for star and delta ratings etc. The plate on the pump end says its an Armstrong 4392 Startwin 215-300.

It just about fits on a standard pallet - sizeable!

Anyone know where I might be able to sell such a beastie? Preferably fairly quickly :o)

regards

Dudley

Reply to
Dudley Simons

You could ask people such as Slater Electricals or Airedale Factors if they want it.They deal in stuff like that.It`s not a particularly big motor as motors go but they might offer something.Alternative is Ebay but either way you won`t get hundreds. Mark.

Reply to
mark
37kw isn't particularly big but it's near the upper end of normal electric motor ranges. There are also many variables, speed, frame size, winding arrangement, etc. Also check that the output shaft hasn't been turned down to take the impeller. If it has forget it as subsequent uses are very limited.

There are relatively few users of motors like this. OE manufacturers always use new motors so don't want it. Equpment users only rarely want replacements so buy infrequently. They can also have damaged motors rewound relatively cheaply without the hassle of removing your pump impeller. That way they get a guarantee and a motor they know will fit. Does your motor work? Unless you can guaranee that it does, no one will want to install it in a machine to find it's U/S. That costs money to do and possibly incurs downtime. I used to manage an engineering department in a large sawmill where we had motors like this. If I was offered one, I'd only buy it on the basis of a faulty motor that I MIGHT be able to get repaired. It would certainly get sent straight to the rewind company.

Basically, your market place is limited. Find out the scrap value and put it on eBay with that starting bid. Even then delivery costs may be a problem but you may get lucky.

John

Reply to
John

amusing, when i saw the post, i immediately thought BIG motors. until retirement, we had from 9,000 hp down in our steel mill.

3,000 hp was quite common. sorry i'm on the wrong end of the pond. my best, sam
Reply to
SAMMMM