Articles?

Gents I saw this article recently on another forum:

In the main it (and some others there) would appear to be largely unacknowledged précis of DWE's books larded with assumption and unsupported assertion.

I did raise a number of points of disagreement with both fact and, unstated, assumption with the author. I'll keep these to myself to avoid polluting the discussion.

Although he has not had the courtesy to reply to me he has made a further post telling me publicly I'm wrong so I feel no compunction in asking what you think. Fire away. I can take it :-)

regards Roland PS I'm sure engine manufacturers will be pleased that they need not buy expensive dynamometers ;-)

Reply to
Roland Craven

Roland,

Having read his piece I feel inclined to put him right on a few non manufacturer points, I have just spent three nights in a hotel in poormouth that had no computer access and this would have been just right to pass the time.

campingstoveman

The joys of the internet - the infinite number of monkeys analogy is appropriate here. I'm sure the comments made will become useful in the future when conjecture and hearsay become legitimate sources for serious research... Until then I will continue to seek the advice of those people who have gained a reputation for accuracy through years of research and experience.

Regards,

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

I shall not show my higgorance by commenting - not my thing at all. I shall, however, follow the thread with interest.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

kimsiddorn

I wounld'nt waste your time Martin, he is the one who was adamant that Lister D head studs were BSF based on the asumption that because the later diesels were then the D had to be.

If you want to laugh or maybe cry at some more of there ponderings read from about 1/2 way down on page two on the way a Bamford tulip top carb works.

I will make no further comment for now.

Regards

Andy M

Reply to
Andy

How does it work? I know nothing of Bamfords, and not really anything about old stationary engines. Is this a surface evaporation carb (wicks?) I've never seen one of those "out in the open" like that. Or is this talk about "suction" just an Autovac type arrangement as a fuel pump? (seems unlikely, given how easy a gravity-fed tank is).

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Try Wikipedia. 8-( It's an infite number of monkeys, except that some of those monkeys have elected themselves to be gorillas.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy, I don't wish to right him right, more to have a play. Childish I know but now and again you have to get it out of your system. Whilst we are on the subject please pass my applauds to your son mike for an excellent piece of work this month, I have one tiny critism though and that is the fact that your and my good friend Mr Howden does appear to be getting a lot of mentions of late :-))

campingstoveman

That's probably due to the fact that I have spent the last 18 months indulging myself full time with the engine hobby - now I've got a job I seem to have a lot less time to play with toys :-(

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Job? I remember a time when I had time for one of they ........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn (who is spending one night in his own bed in the next 8!

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Kim,

In the last 15 days I have spent 12 in hotels

Martin P

Reply to
campingstoveman

Surprisingly in view of the overweening self-belief and hubris of the author this piece has now been removed from public view. Along with another section wherein this thread is discussed it now requires a member to log in. Happily this means that the veritable cornucopia of misinformation is now accessible to only a limited audience.

ttfn

Reply to
Roland Craven