Bamford Help wanted!!

Hi all,

I know I should have marked the camshaft timing before I stripped it down but I didn't! Just thought I would get in first with that! Too enthusiastic I think!!

My EV1 progressing quite well, nice colour and 3 parts built.

However, camshaft timing? Can anyone assist with this? I would be most grateful. The only mark I can see is on the camshaft gear, one large dot/mark adjacent to one of the teeth. My problem is that I have no idea where or what this should align with.Tried various positions but not convinced I have got it right. Is there something I have overlooked or is there no other marks on the crank etc to match up with.

Any help would be great.

Bruce

Reply to
bruce

Not familiar with these engines but...... as a general rule any valve overlap is spread evenly between the 2 valves ( yeah OK except for the

576 exeptions to this rule ). So at TDC on the exhaust stroke you would expect to have the exhaust valve just closing and the inlet just opening, we used to call this "on the rock", as you rock the engine over top you can see one valve opening and one closing. I know a stationary engine wont have the valve overlap of a BSA Goldstar, but you shouldnt be too far out at that. Steve the grease
Reply to
R. L. Driver

I've only got the EG series books here, but the timing figures are:

Inlet opens 8 degrees btdc Inlet closes 45 degrees abdc Exhaust opens 45 degrees bbdc Exhaust closes 8 degrees atdc

Peter

Peter A Forbes