'bike engine leaflet

Quite fancied this, though not perhaps at eventual sellng price. But can anyone tell me how 'old1949bikes' apparently outbid himself?

Reply to
Nick H

"Mark Howard" wrote

I don't think there was a reserve and, as I understood it anyway, the highest bidder should be able to submit a 'reinforcing' if he feels his previous highest bid is too close for comfort to the current price and at risk from snipers etc - come on you ebay savvy types.

Reply to
Nick H

"Peter A Forbes" wrote (snip):-

My point exactly. In this instance however it did increase the current bid amount, even if only by 93 pence. I think Tim is right., ie it jumped to the next standard increment.

Reply to
Nick H

The only reason I can think of (assuming his marbles aren't missing) is that the item had a reserve of say £15-50 and he had to bid twice in order to exceed it. The bids were very close together, so he either has broadband or he does indeed need a top up in the marbles department!

Mark

Reply to
Mark Howard

You can bid again even if yours is the highest current bid, your

*actual* bid is supposed to remain the same if you're already ahead but it doesn't always seem to work precisely as it should. I've had bids like that jump up when they shouldn't. Probably because his first bid was only just higher than the last competing bid, the system took him up a standard increment higher. Just guessing, it was only pennies so he probably isn't too upset.

Cheers Tim

Reply to
Tim Leech

He added to his bid once another bidder came along by the look of it.

I did the same on my bid for the engraver. You can bid as many times as you like, and you will not increase the current bid amount if you are the high bidder. The bid is recorded however, so you can't sneak an upgrade without it showing!

Peter

Reply to
Peter A Forbes

That is my understanding.

old1949bikes =A310.00 21-Oct-04 16:53:24 BST =3D =A32.00 to old1949bikes=

mooi007 =A315.00 22-Oct-04 10:49:53 BST =3D =A310.50 to mooi007 old1949bikes =A315.07 23-Oct-04 17:21:03 BST =3D =A315.07 to old1949bike= s

Who then thinks yikes thats a bit close, I really want this, so bids again at >=3D =A316. ebay adds the standard increment (=A31 at this sell= ing price) to mooi007's maximum.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Frankly, I think that re-enforcing your bid indicates that you are still in the game and others have no idea what your new bid is until it's all over. Depends how serious you are and how badly you want it.

regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

So they bid to try and find out, upping the price... At the end of the day the person willing to pay the most is going to win so perhaps it doesn't matter. Having said that the only times I see ordinary things go for silly money is when there has been a bidding war...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice