Blue?

No, not engineers blue, but gun blue. I used to have some chemical stuff which when wiped onto clean steel gave a very good replica of heat bluing. The bottle is long dry - any ideas where I can get some more?

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Nick H

This might be more useful:-

Nick H

They're usually a solution of selenium dioxide in methanol. Lots of brands, not hard to find.

Best I've used is Phillips brand. Liberon's (from Axminster) isn't bad either, although both of these are quite dark black rather than bright blue. Birchwood Casey can be found in gunshops (although Avon Arms has now closed), but that's definitely not as good.

Or you could hot blue it, with an iron pan of saltpetre and caustic soda. It's only a _little_ hazardous 8-) Don't use a wooden stick to stir it!

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I got a little bottle of blue gel from Avon Arms (still open, Andy) and initial application worked well, but more black than blue. Another layer tomorrow. ;o))

Regards,

J. Kim Siddorn,

Reply to
Kim Siddorn