Camera

After 5 years or so of sterling service my Sony DSC-P30 has started shut
down without warning, usually immediately after taking a pic - I don't want
to be caught out at a rally with an unreliable camera so I guess I ought to
think about replacing it. Bearing in mind that this little 1.3 megapixel job
with very few bells and whistles has been entirely satisfactory and I have
no desire to go back to humping about something the size of a 35mm SLR
about, does anybody have any recommendations? Be nice if it used the Sony
memory sticks I have accumulated or CF which I also have a few of, and a
screen/ viewfinder which I can actually see without donning reading glasses
would be a plus too!
Reply to
Nick H
Sony do the Cyber-Shot range which take Memory Sticks.
DSC-V1 is one of the nicer models with motorised Carl Zeiss zoom.
DSC-F717 is the other one in the range which we have, but out of your size range.
Can also I repeat the details on the Sony recall programme - Models with the 5mp sensor which has failed can return them to the Sony Service Centre in Wales for a free of charge repair.
I have managed to help a couple of people selling on ebay after their camera went down, both had repairs done (as we have) and were delighted.
Look for "Sony CCD Sensor Recall" on Google.
is a good site for comparing specifications and it also goes back a way for the older models.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web:
Peter A Forbes
I wouldn't worry too much about your memory, because sadly you probably don't have enough to be used in a more modern, higher mega-pixel camera.
I recently bought one of these:
paid 155 for it.
It is JAW droppingly capable, although physically larger than some others on the market.
I particularly like it's FULL manual controls (if ya' want them), although it has a full auto mode too.
The fold out screen is WONDERFUL.
The other "great" camera at the moment is the Fuji f30 and its successors.
Reviews:
Sites:
BugBear
Reply to
bugbear
Thanks for the hints guys, I've found myself eying up the Sony DSC-H7 and Fuji S9600 - neither of which really fit into my size catagory of course! I get the point about not worrying too much about the old memory sticks (Sony seem to have gone over to MS 'duo' anyway) but if MS is not possible, I would at least like to go the CF route as that is the only other format I can use in both my photo printer and PDA without adaptors.
Reply to
Nick H
Nick,
If the S9600 is anything like my S9500 then in my opinion your onto a winner, I can't fault my camera it does exactly what I want.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
Heh; actually I think *most* current digicams have capabilities well in excess of what most people require, which is a Good Thing :-)
BugBear
Reply to
bugbear
We still use the smaller sticks, but we also have a few older working Sony cameras that use them.
Most used camera is the FD100 which is 1.2mp and is great for ebay pictures and works stuff.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web:
Peter A Forbes
and the choice was....?
512mb MS are going for under a fiver including postage.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web:
Peter A Forbes
PA> and the choice was....?
PA> 512mb MS are going for under a fiver including postage.
PA> Peter
Well, the provisional choice was the Fuji. So after work today off I trotted to Jessops to take advantage of their Thursday night late opening. Sadly they didn't have one to look at, but if I went home and ordered on- line I would be able to pick up my purchase from that very store within an hour!
Next I tried Dixons, sorry Currys Digital. Yes they had the camera in stock, but no one seemed to know anyhing about it. I was comparing it with the cheaper s6500 but when I asked for a rundown of the saliant diffences between the two, the assistant examined the label on the shelf and proudly announced that one had more "mp's" - good grief! They were also twenty quid more expensive than Jessops, so I asked how much flexibility there was on pricing, the assistant pointed at the ticket on the shelf - "'that is the price sir".
How often do you hear pundits bemoaning the effect that on-line retailers are having on the high street? Well, if this is the level of service the high street has to offer, I'm not surprised - basically no one seemed very interested in actually *selling* me anything. If I do buy the S9600 I'll spend my money at Amazon, save a further twenty quid and hang the 'personal service' the high street is supposed to offer.
nickh=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8
Reply to
nickh
The last cameras we bought new from a shop were the Contax bodies and lenses, back in the early 1980's. They lasted right up until we got the first Mavica, new from Singapore at a very nice price courtesy of a returning home sister.
Since then we have collected a fair number of Sony camera products, all secondhand and generally at a big discount to the new price.
Looking on ebay today, the DSC-H7 is as little as £235 plus £9.99 carriage, while Jessops have it at £329.99. Both are new and in box, the ebay one is 330116102560.
Shops are losing out in a big way now, we rarely go into a shop these days, we do it all on-line, including food shopping.
(I tell a lie, I bought a 2.5 ton trolley jack in Halfords this week, first time in a shop for months! )
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web:
Peter A Forbes
Yep, that sounds usual.
BugBear (last 3 cameras bought online with 2 year warranty thrown in)
Reply to
bugbear