Threat to imperial measurements

I came across this on another board and thought it may be of some intrest.
Since 1995 we have been compelled to measure and price merchandise in metric
units but allowed to show the imperial equivalent alongside.
At the end of 2009 it will become illegal to make any mention of imperial units.
The ban will apply to all products, packaging, advertisements, magazines, catalogues.
The effects of this ban will be wide ranging.
Spare and replacement parts for existing equipment built to imperial standards will cease to be available
It will not be possible to package, advertise or catalogue such items.
Thousands of citizens with interests in vintage vehicles, preserved railways, and model engineering, will be deprived of legal access to tools and materials to pursue their interests.
If like me, you believe that you should be permitted to continue to have access to all the equipment you need to enjoy your hobby, then visit the web site below and sign the petition,
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Metrication
Mike M
miley snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com
I do hope this is scaremongering, if it is a correct reading of the implications we are all in trouble. I can't see it though, surely no amount of legislation can make (say) a 25.4mm AF spanner illegal and manufacturers will continue to supply them for as long as the demand is there.
--
B.Rgds

Nick H
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 16:22:47 +0100, Nick H wrote:

It probably is, most of the petitions on that site are badly researched and are fired off willy nilly.
Mind you knowing the current lots ability to bring in poorly constructed legislation, push through ideas that haven't been thought through properly and so on, anything is possible.
More to the point if the road toll petition with 2 million plus signatures can just be publicly ignored by the minister responsible they are all an utter waste of time.
If you are really concerned *write to your MP*. I find mine pretty good when it comes to asking embarrassing questions of the government, mind he is a Tory...

It wouldn't be but it would be if you called it a 1" AF spanner, it is daft though. Just not thought through properly. Probably a knock on effect from the appalling standards of education in the last 10 years or so. Nobody nows how to think or has any real experience of doing real jobs in manufacturing. I'd say that most of the work force are pen pushers in one form or another, thats always assuming they can use a pen...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I think true or otherwise I'll sign the online petition anyway. Why not? It takes little effort and it's the taxpayers brass that pays for them. I might try badgering my MP about it by email and post. Might as well try to get some mileage from the lazy bastard after all. Certainly sounds stupid enough to be true. Straying OT but I did hear that they were going to try to scrap the assay process for gold too (which has only worked perfectly for what? 300 years?!?) and introduce a german style "voluntary" assay. Oh BTW, more than 90% of the "gold" jewellery sold in germany isn't what it claims to be, as opposed to less than 5% here... Cheers, Scruff.
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Just call it 1 AF with a note on the pack that AF size numbers are based on a unit of 0.0254 m. :-)
ianm[at]the[dash]malcolms[dot]freeserve[dot]co[dot]uk [at]=@, [dash]=- &
mmm.... cant see this being policed myself, someone better hurry up and invent a new standard pipe thread because thats all you can buy at the moment and what happens if you want a replacement 2" bsp elbow ? sounds like another waste of tax payers money.
rgds bob
Bob wrote:

Hmm...
Pipe has been metrified for years: 15, 20, 25, 32, 40, 50, 65, 80 etc etc...
Tom

Tom wrote:

Until you enter a FTA with the US and the market gets flooded with products in measurements that were made illegal years ago!!

I realise that metric pipe is available as I am in the bussiness but they are not the same , you cant fit a piece of 20mm upvc into a 3/4 sockect , and there is no commonly used metric thread available , all your metric fittings if they have male thread on are still BSP all gas fittings BSP you do see some strange threads on pressure sensors tranducers etc, but they tend to be unique to the manufactures or parallel variants of BSP GAZ fittings , we are putting a new reception facitilty in for united utilities and most of the pipe we are instaling will be metric but all the threads will be BSP.
Rgds bob
Bob wrote:

Actually, that is not what I meant. The size of the pipe hasn't changed only how the merchants describe the sizes. In most cases with a very soft conversion. BTW, when I say pipe I'm meaning galvanised, black or SS. The various plastic piping systems are a different kettle of fish.
Next WE I'll be installing 15mm, 20mm, 32mm and 50mm SS pipe in a factory with the associated fittings, which translates into 1/2", 3/4", 1-1/4", and 2" SS pipe under the old nomemclature.
Tom

Tom wrote:

If its any consolation I do work for petrochemical plant throughout the world, and its entertaining that almost without exception the pipe is specified in inches nominal bore and the length of pipe runs in millimetres or metres. So normal speak is 200 metres of 8inch pipe.. and why not. I think its great !
Steve (Cheshire)

We just use whatever fits.... :-))
Bought some plastic conduit the other day, then found we had some old 25mm or 1" steel stuff that we could run cables through already. There are many adapters available to convert from one to t'other, and the actual pipe size is not that relevant (in this particular case)
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
Oh dear, and I thought that it was me that went off at tangents!
I was sitting in my Lodge last evening watching two go through the Entered Apprentice's stage when the 24" gauge is explained as reference to 24 hours of the day upon which life is -or should be conducted. Nothing secret or mysterious or whatever.
Of course, it all- apart from a few signs and tokens- straight out of the Old Testament where the measurements are Imperial. Not attributable to Masonic Grand Masters like Kings, Princes and lesser mortals but King Solomon or if we can't get our heads round that- King James who gave us the Bible as we know it but a Counterblast against Smoking which will come into force on the 1st July- a period of over 400 years.
Well, yes?
Norm
ravensworth2674 wrote:

Just what are you, smoking?
Tom

Well, Tom. I no longer indulge in the habit. I was merely taking the matter into a time span of 4000 years- give or take a decade or three.
In case you want to explore measurement even further, the Book of Hiram by Knight and Lomas will give instructions on how to do it all using the Planet Venus and a few pieces of cord and a few sticks.
Handy if they take my Jo Blocks away and Guessing Stick away
Cheers
ravensworth2674 wrote:

....?Not attributable to Masonic Grand Masters like Kings, Princes and lesser mortals but King Solomon or if we can't get our heads round that- King James who gave us the Bible as we know it but a Counterblast against Smoking which will come into force on the 1st July- a period of over 400 years."
It would take more than breadcumbs to stop me getting lost in that statement.
Tom

Merely crumbs of information, Tom, which one can cast upon the waters- and come back soggy. My other contribution refered to the work of Professor Thom, Tom. So beat that!
After all, I wisely assumed that membership of this august body was concerned with engines- which do not go. One must make a start somewhere towards a revolution and inch forward!
ravensworth2674 wrote:

Discerning ducks?

> Two men lie in the gutter, one sees the detritus, the other the stars...

? Actually, the engines on the whole go, yet their raison d'tre is to remain immobile. > One must make a start somewhere towards a revolution and inch forward!

Normally with stationary engines, one inches forward preparatory to making a revolution. :-)
Tom

As you will observe, I was doing the Stars thing with Professor Thom, Tom in mentioning Venus. I was careful in adding Planets to avoid confusing our more lowly bred nautical types who might have been out of their depth and ducked the issue and lowered the tone.
I suddenly found a sideways reference to 'Knights Templar' as a sponsored link. No connection but seeing that you mentioned raison d'etres, another French pun-- Aigues Morte? Perhaps a knowledge of Lazy Hens rather than ducks is required or even white horses rather than a Carthorse July?
Oddly, there is more than one stationary engine connection which we could drink to.
Norm
Tom, Sorry!
I automatically assumed that you were a 'right side up' Brit rather than a Kiwi in replying. I sincerely apologise for this. I was leg pulling as I am actually a Francophile- a Mon Sewer.
Norm