Campbell Engine

We are getting pictures coming in from Espana of a large Campbell gas engine, details from our man on the spot:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ HalloRita and Peter,
I hope I will be able to send you these photos of a stii quite well > preserved Campbell gas engine. > I have seen it over 10 years and nobody seems to bother about it. > Lately, the roof has collapsed and it is getting wet now. > The data shield has been removed, but Icould take some measurements : > bore 245 mm, stroke about 600mm, diam. flywheel1960mm, width fw:230mm > Made by: The Ampbell Gas Engine COV Halifax > Can you tell me more about it ?

I'll edit the pictures tonight and put them up on the website.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Pictures are at:

through

Note the second, in-line engine in the background of one or two of the pictures.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

pictures.

Wow Peter, That engine would make any enthusiasts oil can, emery sheet & paint brush look forward to a little vigorous but enthusiastic exercise. 8^) PS How long till your next Spanish trip?

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Dave Croft

Peter, does your man on the spot have a can of oil and a rag? If he does, ask him to splash it all over ;-) That looks like a real nice find, not often you come across lumps like that just lying around. Do you know what it used to drive?

Cheers, MartinH

pictures.

Reply to
martin hirst

It is indeed a beautiful thing. Hopefully its location will remain secret! ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Not at present, the guy I am exchanging emails with looks like he is on site but works for a company in Germany. I have asked him to let me know of any application information, and also what the other lump in the background is if possible.

It is two sea journeys away from here, so it is probably fairly safe.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Gentlemen,

Relatively speaking its in quite good nick.

Mart> >

Reply to
Campingstoveman

It certainly looks as though the main components are intact, although the lubricator and fuel system seem to be missing.

Looking at the front of the cylinder head made me wonder if it was a diesel, as the aperture looked very similar to an injector mounting, but I couldn't see enough of the rest of it to be sure, and there are no obvious signs of an injection pump, so it must be gas or petrol.

A large number of Rustons and other big horizontals remain in South America and other more remote locations, the recovery costs or over-enthusiastic pricing by their owners making them uneconomic to bring back to the UK.

The guy who found this one also has serveral Diter engines, which is how he found our details on the web, through our article in the Spanish trip.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

FWIW I doubt the recovery costs would make more than a minor dent in the market-value of either of these rare and beautiful engines. It is of course as easy to arrange shipping to the USA from Europe or the UK and you are probably not the only one with local "agents". ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven