Car ran out of oil and conked out, how to revive it?

That's the whole point you're missing.

Cars are CHEAPER than fitted scrapyard engines.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes, but you presumably stopped it at that point. Parrot-boy here kept it running until it died.

I think he should start it up again dry. Then rev it until it throws a rod and is _properly_ broken, Maybe _then_ he'll take the hint !

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Okay Wayne, you insist on reviving your dead engine. I'll do it for you. £700 labour - you pay for all the parts.

Or I've got exactly the engine you want sat in my garage (would I lie to you), you can have it for £400 and I'll fit it for a further £400.

Unless anyone willing to work for nothing wants to undercut me??

krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

Nah, job's yours. Have fun.

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

B*****d!!

krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

What does your pinking sound like?

:_)

--Nick.

Reply to
Nick

He'll just start asking about glue to stick that lump of iron over the hole in the block though......

Reply to
Chris Street

Must be my day, I just happen to have some glue in the garage - he can have it for oooh £100. (I'll have to stop being so generous).

krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

The message from Nick contains these words:

It's an annoying rattling noise made by Peter Macmillan tryping.

Reply to
Guy King

Don't forget this is cross-posted to uk.rec.engines.stationary Many of us have done just that.

Oyltite - wonderful stuff 8-)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We use wleding torches for engines that move however....:-) Is Oyltite that stuff that looks like Araldite full of iron filings?

Reply to
Chris Street

Well, sort of. I mean, it was at rather high revs, in top. It started to feel just a little sluggish all of a sudden, the oil light came on almost immediately, so it was a dip the clutch job just in case the whole front end was about to lock up. The moment the clutch went down, the dash lit up, but luckily I managed to coast the half mile or so to some services. As soon as I got out the car I saw what the problem was, it was nicely oiled, so the engine wasn't :(

I guess I must have caught it very quickly going by the amount of damage, although that didn't matter a great deal as I dumped it and fitted another lump anyway instead of trying to get that bloody seal off!

Had an engine throw a rod once when it was full of oil and had good pressure. It ran better than it had before. Even heard of engines with a sheared crank making it home, must admit my one blown crank didn't quite manage that!

What he needs to do is get another engine if he's really that attatched to the car, and weigh in the old one to buy the beers needed to get a mate to fit it...

Reply to
Stuffed

Must be a good mate then who's fitting it! Isn't the price of scrap metal something like £2 or so per tonne? And an engine weighs a few hundred kilos, right?

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

There's no way I'd weld up a broken block that ran at over 1000 rpm (and I'm not bad at nickel rod arc on CI). If I cared about maintaining alignment, I'd either fix it cold myself or get the Metalok bloke to do it. Maybe if it was irreplaceable, and I could line-bore it afterwards.

No - that's JB Weld.

Oyltite looks like some dreadful confectionery sold to small children, that they've then left in a coat pocket over winter and has turned into squidgy goo. No strength to it at all, but it's sticky, bendy, and nothing ever leaks past it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I drove a V4 Transit (what else !) over the M62 once. There had been clutch trouble, so clearly the crank endfloat had gone all wobbly.

Pulled the engine and the back end of the crank fell off, still attached to the flywheel ! It had sheared right across, but at enough of an angle to act as a "dog clutch" and keep it going.

I _hated_ that engine. A real thorough piece of crap and Ford's excessive "production engineering".

Reply to
Andy Dingley

come on mate i know uve fallen in love with ur car, but its knackered, jus dump it and buy another i run around in a fiesta, collecting engines and transporting them about i have no problems and its only a

1 litre, thanks, Martyn
Reply to
Martyn Butler

In message , Andy Dingley writes

I've still got half an Oyltite stick from my RAF days. It must be about

20 years old but once in a blue moon it gets used to seal a fuel leak.
Reply to
Paul Giverin

: In article , Wayne Brown : says... : : > How easy would it be for a mechanic to give an estimate to repair the : > engine? Major strip down, or simpler than that? : > : FULL strip down and inspection as well as measuring the little/big : ends, bores etc.

Might be esier to drain the oil and weigh the swarf that comes out with it. To the nearest ounce should do.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston