Electrolysis and Rust

All,

I tried Rolands method of using Electrolysis last night to clean up a CI bearing cap from a Bamford corn mill. Before hand it was half rust with some paint.

I am pleased to say, that it is now back to cast metal.

It worked very very well indeed for me, so I would recommend anyone else have a go to. It is now our intention to rig something up a little more permanent than last nights experiment, and hopefully we can do away with using wire wheels and paint stripper altogether.

Full marks from this corner?

Regards

Chris Bedo

Kent UK

Reply to
Chris Bedo

I've used the electrolysis method for years using a 12v battery charger, but I've had no success using reo (reinforcing bar) as suggested by many. Plain mild steel scraps work OK, but I cannot get more than a few milliamps with reo, even after wire-brushing, increasing the number and insertion depth.

I do not know why. Connections, etc OK.

Any other had this experience? Is our reo different?

JW² Perth, Western Australia

Norton AntiVirus 2003 installed

Reply to
Jack Watson

Jack My experience matches yours but like you I don't know why. I did successfully use some leftover weldmesh but prefer scrap MS as its free :-) Anyone still unconvinced about the demerits of using SS might 'enjoy' this URL

Roland and Celia Craven

You've convinced me Roland. Is that game,set and match?

Reply to
Arthur Griffin