More come home..

All,

Have not posted for a while, so thought it best to catch up!

Having had a very thorough tidy up of the workshop, and sold one or two items, we managed to create quite a bit of space. We had intended to bring in the new Fairbanks Morse that has been sheeted outside, but just before it could claim the space, 2 new Petter M type apple tops crept in! We now have 6 M types (2 acorn, 2 apple, 2 tank) so we are a long way off from catching Roland ! Will post pics in due course.

We will be at Sodbury of course, but only to buy this time, hope to meet some of you there.

Regards

Chris Bedo

Reply to
Chris Bedo

Chris, enjoyed your Burrell article in OG. You've got your work cut out! OG is well written, shame they don't give a tad more space for Stationary engines.

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

I'm trying to reduce so we may meet in the middle :-) ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Thanks Arthur, that article was prompted by the usual gossip and incorrect speculation amongst the engine fraternity. I am pleased to say though that the article has paid off and has helped out in a number of ways by providing contacts. Incidentally, we now have the whole engine stripped right down, with just the boiler and cylinder block together. I will update the web this week.

Colin Tyson has advised that up to 15% of space in OG is marked for not traction engine use, so it is very possible to get an article submitted. With such a small amount of space with so many topics to be covered (commercials, horses etc) in that 15%, an article on stationary engines would have to be a decent one to get included.

From what Colin has said, he is looking for a well written article, with decent photos to accompany it. Per the thread on ?think of the photographers? this is quite hard to do for stationary engines.

Perhaps a group member could come up with a decent article for OG, maybe a sort of introduction to our hobby perhaps? (But not a cheesy one!) Start the ball rolling so to speak? Although I might have a go at an article, my photos tend to be rubbish!!

I think if Roland is to meet us in the middle, we had better buy another garage looking at all the Petters on his web pages! Is that a downscale in general Roland, or are you expanding into other avenues? I think we have enough M types for now, but quite fancy an Atomic or a larger S type. I hear the atomic that was at the auction in the back of the SEM did not make much money? But more of a bargain was a Hornsby for 2 grand, wish I had been there!

I am planning to try rust removal the R.C. method this eve, so will let you all know how we get on. Shame that Electrolysis cant remove grease as well though.

Regards

Chris Bedo Kent UK

Reply to
Chris Bedo

For grease (and paint) there's nothing to touch an hour or so in boiling conc. caustic soda but it is potentially dangerous... I'm trying (with limited success!) to reduce to the point that I can get everything inside. B*******s I hear you all cry :-) regards Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven