Cheffins April 04

We decided to visit Cheffins over Enstone this year, I am sure that many people had the same dilemma, so hopefully the dates will not clash next year.

Despite leaving home at 5:00 am, Cheffins was good as always, but the prices continue to rise, I can only guess that there must be many more people taking an interest as engines are nearly making twice what they were when we started out 7 - 8 years ago.

Bentall Pioneer 1.5 hp went for around £700, Ruston Pushrod PR made £900, Lister A type was around £100, Ruston IP made £1200 and I think a Petter M apple top was around £400.

There were some VERY nice larger engines there, a Ruston IP in original condition with a few parts missing made only £900. If only I had the space !! I must admit to nearly joining the bidding on that one. The National OTTO engine that was much hyped was withdrawn due to questions/rumours over its details in the catalogue.

As for books, less stationary engine items than usual, prices about the same mark. Steam books continue to go crazy though.

The Davey Paxman straw burner traction engine did not sell at £44k.

I bought a few books only, some on engineering, a couple of stationary engine manuals and a Ruston Hornsby steam roller catalogue.

Regards

Chris Bedo Kent UK

To mail me - please use snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk - remove the "removethis" bit though first!

Reply to
Chris Bedo

questions/rumours over its details in the catalogue.

You've made me curious, what were the qustions/rumours, Chris?

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

reported to have been exported from Australia very recently, Auctioneers pulled it not seller. A friend of mine said that as soon as it was announced the owner trailered it away.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

The trailer was out of there faster than you can say OTTO. Cheffins said they are going to check the story out.

Regards

Chris Bedo Kent UK

Reply to
Chris Bedo

Does anyone know who the owner of this dubious piece of merchandise was?

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
Philip THornton-Evison