Optimism

A crap pic of half an engine in the dark and a woefully inadequate description. Throw in an off-putting starting price and you get........ No bids !

he's got another even more optimistic...........

ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

I like his last comment about no going for a song and asking a good reserve price. Taking the Mick comes to mind.

Martin P

and he's got another even more optimistic...........

Reply to
Campingstoveman

and he's got another even more optimistic...........

Maybe he's knows more about Rovers..:-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

A collectors item for sure. At least that engine runs.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Woof ?

Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Did you not notice he has one on eBay for 20 quid?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Just out of interest what would anybody bid on the engines?

For the Crossley £300? The Ruston £1500? or as these just as optimistic?

Phil C

Reply to
Philip Carter

Nothing. The pics and description no doubt match the engines' condition and the owner's misguided opinion of their value will make him impossible to deal with sensibly. It isn't worth the bother!! ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

PS He also wants a surcharge for Paypal which is against Ebay rules!

Reply to
Roland Craven

I'd imagine the vendor is taking the photos with his phone. I'm a bit surprised that someone who apparently knows something about the hobby has not made a better fist of compiling the advert.

Still, he's only got two Feedback, one for buying a Jaguar and the other for buying a towbar to fit on it! He's learning the hard way, is he not?

As to price, I have sent the following to the vendor.

"I write purely in a friendly way, I am not interested in buying either the Crossley or the Ruston, as I have examples in my collection already. The prices asked are far in excess of what they are likely to fetch. Because the single photos are so poor, it is difficult to make a real judgement. With bits missing and unrestored, the Crossley is hard to assess, say £250, perhaps a bit more or less upon examination. A decent magneto might set you back another £80 - £100 these days and the fuel valve would almost certainly need to be manufactured from scratch.

The Ruston seems quite tidy & as it is trailer mounted and there is a driven device, too, I'd guess at around £1,000, subject to model and actual condition. I hope you and your mate Ken accept my comments in the friendly way they are meant and I recommend you consult the Classified Ads section of Stationary Engine Magazine. Regards, Kim Siddorn."

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc!

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

jus thought........ i might offer him my Villiers mk15....as a straight swop for the crossley.............he would have to throw in the rover aswell tho...... :-)

Reply to
chris down