Great Dorset

Read all the bad press on this NG, including a few of you who had decided not to go as a result, but I was seduced by the talk of miles of junk stalls so decided to give it a try.

It's a couple of hours from W. London so we left at 6:00 to give plenty of time for a bite of breakfast on the way and still be there for the 9:00 opening. Hadn't bargained for the enormous traffic queue to get in though!

Eventually hit the field 5 1/2 hours later feeling less than happy and headed straight for the market area. What a dissapointment, mostly car boot sale tat with very few engine related stalls. It's quite rare for me to come away from a rally with any kind of market without at least a token purchase (even if it is a £5 Alco!) but nothing tempted me here and even if it had I got the impression that the prices were not what you might call keen. Give me old sodbury's sort-out any day.

It wasn't all bad; the SE display had some interesting exhibits and, though I'm no hot fog enthusiast, I did enjoy the sight and sound of some of these giants working hard in the heavy haulage area.

But worth £12 a head and a total of about 7 1/2 hours traveling time? No, not for the SE enthusiast anyway, I guess the clue is in the title - Great Dorset *Steam* Fair.

Nick H.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Nick,

Whilst I will agree that prices are a touch dear I would say that the Dorset Steam Fair is always worth a visit if like me your interests are not only Stationary Engines, which I must admit was a bit poor and talking to the Engine steward about me showing next year he said that there was a lot of exhibits which would not be there next year. As you know I have a 1969 Camper, I collect camping stoves so straight away I have plenty to look for. It is a Steam fair and as I was brought up on coal fired model steam I can appreciate, understand and enjoy the real thing and I always look around the Craft Fair for that little peace offering sorry present for the wife. That point brings me fleetingly to a delicate question, next year Dorset starts on the 1st Sept and goes on to the 5th Sept, the problem I have is how do I get around the fact that my Wedding Aniversary is on the 3rd Sept (no 27) do you think she will miss me :-)) Back to Dorset, spending a day there especially when you have just taken 5

1/2 hrs to get in must I admit sour the Rally but it aint that bad really :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

p.s. Try Haddenham near Cambridge it will be worth the trip up the A10 turn right.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I did enjoy Dorset when we went last year, but the engine side was not outstanding, I agree. I didn't find much amongst the tat, though I think you need to be there early in the week.

I do enjoy the steamers and the tractors and all the other kit, though I prefer the engines above all of them.

Last year, my Dad and I came home from Dorste on the Saturday and went to the Oswestry Park Hall (Welsh Border Oil Engine Club) rally on the Sunday and we both felt the engine display at home was much better.

I went to Park Hall again today, and I'm happy to report that the standard was as good if not better. I think the smaller rallies when managed well are more fun than fighting your way through the crowds and traffic jams at the big ones. The only problem I sometimes see at small rallies is a Lister D overdose. I have nothing against Lister D types, but surely you don't want too many of any one engine in a rally. I'll post photos in a bit, there should be something to please most of you.

BTW I know we sometimes bash on about good information to make the engines interesting, but I tried to be interested in the bikes and only two (owned by the same family) of the 50 or so had any information with them, so I passed on, no more clued up about old bikes than when I arrived. If any of you rally bikes, FOR GOD'S SAKE PROVIDE SOME INFO for know-nothings like myself who could find them interesting. Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Lack of info is across the board, when I show my Camper I have at least 4 x sheets on the windscreen showing history, pics etc but most car owners just seem to tell you what year and model it is.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

We have never been, having heard enough horror stories over the years, and read about them in the magazines. I can see the attraction both for genuine enthusiasts (and thieves) but the organisation doesn't seem to ever keep up with the needs of the visiting Public who are after all paying for the dubious pleasure of attending.

As we have no cars in the family, we would have some difficulty persuading the entry guys to let us in with the vans, so it's a never to be sampled show from our viewpoint.

But, why worry? there are plenty of other, better shows such as Astle Park and Lister-Petter which offer a much more engine-friendly scene.

Plus, if we widen our horizons, there is Nuenen in Holland and (dare I say it) Portland in the 'states.

Entry at Portland was $US 3.00 per head, a PINT of Coca-Cola was $US 1.00, we filled up the hire car on $US 21.00 per refill and Rib-Eye steak sandwiches were the most expensive food we had at $US 4.00 per item, but very nice!

Compare that with what you are charged in the UK for entry, food and drinks and it starts to make sense to holiday over there and take a show in at the same time.

The hobby needs a new direction if it is not to suffer the same as the other mechanically related ones such as Cars etc.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Oh those rib eye steaks!!!!! I just about lived on them for a week, and now I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms. The vegiarian way of life is just about unknown in the mid-west of America :-))

OTOH the beer was all but undrinkable, if indeed you can describe Bud-Lite as beer.

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

Nick, Pete Aldous has already said it, its very friendly nicely laid out and a lot to do. Apparently if you arrive and find us both Pete will by us both a beer :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Now there's a threat! Are you exhibiting or just visiting?

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Nick,

We are both exhibiting, and there is always plenty of Stella in the Caravan fridge....anything else and I guess it will have to be the beer tent.

Reply to
Pete Aldous

Beer tent then :-))

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

In what way are "other mechanically related hobbies" suffering? There never seems to be any shortage of 'classic' cars and bikes etc at shows.

Is Portland an engine (and tractor) only rally and does it attract the general public as well as enthusiasts? About the only purely engine rally of any size I can think of over here was Woburn, organised by the Beds and Bucks SEC, which has now died a death. We can't force the public to be interested, even the 1000 engine has other attractions and the engine field is usually noticably less crowded than other areas, so I guess that we are destined to remain something of a side show.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Nick, As a past organiser of The Woburn Rally I would like to say that the main reason it has died was not because it was engine only but because "I" got fed up doing everything and when I said I had had enough no other stupid sod would take it up.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman