The joys of showing an engine...

Today i've been (and still am) giving my D-type a good run. I put it outside the workshop, started it and came inside.

There's a public footpath going through our place, right past the door of the workshop, I keep getting people standing and watching it so I go out for a chat, and they all tell me what a nice job i've made of it. I've just been out to speak to the 3rd person who stopped to have a look I'm thinking of pulling the other engine out and having a mini exhibition :)

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

I hope you've put up an informative display sign explaining all about it!:-)

We've got a footpath through the yard, but nobody uses it when I'm playing engines, only when the yard is full of bawling sheep and lambs.

Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin

Reply to
John Southall

Thanks for that John, it still make me smile 30 odd years on to remember one of the lads relieving himself on the way back from the pub onto an electric fence.........

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

OT a bit. I was a telephone engineer at Widnes Telephone Exchange. I had a wicked sense of humour. There was a patch of land outside the workshop door. We wired a spark coil to a metal grid top outside the side door. Ground level but with an insulating plastic bag insulating the grid from earth. We told the apprentices not to waste time going across the building to the toilet but to wee in the grid outside the door. The effects were spectactular!

Reply to
Dave Croft

Still OT a bit:

I once worked with a chap who liked to walk around with his telephone. It was a hard-wired job with about eight yards of cable attached. One day he tripped over the wire and it parted in the middle. No worries, he sat down tailor-fashion and started stripping the insulation from the remains of the wires with his teeth. At this point, an incoming call arrived... It was the first time I'd ever actually *seen* someone's head ring, and it proved that yogic flying was not a myth.

Regards

Pete

In message , Dave Croft writes

Reply to
Peter Scales

A horse-power story ... Even more off-topic, unless we can consider a horse to be a sort of non-stationary engine?

My late father told a story of being sent out when he was a young stockman (cowboy) before the first war (probably about 1914) to repair a broken telephone line. A typical Aussie bush job, the single wire strung from tree to tree. He found the break in the middle of a span, and stood up on his horse's back to twist the broken ends together. It was raining, and at that moment his boss back at the homestead decided to test it out, and gave the magneto-ringer a vigourous spin. The horse took off at a high rate of acceleration, with Dad doing a fine circus act for a few short yards. The horse kept going, and Dad had a long walk home.

JW² Norton AntiVirus 2003 installed

Reply to
Jack's Email