Yate is on the move with new exhibition

Gloucestershire Gazette

Monday 2nd March 2009

Ali Dent

" Trains, planes and automobiles is the theme for a new transport exhibition at Yate Heritage Centre ......... the past has been brought to life by a model railway based on Yate Station in the

1930s, made by Jeremy Dennis & Brian Hobbs. "

The exhibition is open to the public until April 19th.

Call 01454 862200 for opening hours.

Yate is NE of Bristol near Chipping Sodbury ! BS37 5BG

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
Dragon Heart

I saw this exhibition last week and it is quite a small affair. The layout is a 4mm scale model of Yate station as it was pre-Beeching, and it is not an operating layout.

Given the relative sizes of Yate and Sodbury these days, I would say that Sodbury is close to Yate :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Thanks for that Jim, what was the rest of the exhibition like ...... any good ?

Not been to the Bristol area for about 6 or 7 years.

Chris

It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of fight in the dog.

Reply to
chris.brett58

Chris,

It is basically a text and pictures display of local transport in Yate over the last hundred years or so/ The model of the station and another display of bus memorabilia (conductor's ticket machine, etc) are on plinths in the centre of the (not very large) room.

I found it of interest for a fifteen minute visit while grandson was doing his karate training in the church hall next door, but I don't know if I would find it worthwhile if I had to travel some distance to see it. I had seen quite a few of the pictures before and I suspect that you could find most, if not all, of the information on the web

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie