Re: I got a free engine!

It's not that interesting, it's a diesel Lister LD1, air cooled. It's dirty,

>rusty, but it runs. Doesn't make a very nice noise, or look very good so I >don't think i'll be starting it very often :) >

The LD was one of the earlier air-cooled diesels, and has a cast ali shroud IIRC, quite a decent little engine.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

It doesn't run very nicely, theres like 4 loud strokes, then 4 quiet ones and it repeats. I can't find a throttle or anything to slow it down.

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

It's 'hunting', probably a sticky fuel pump rack of the actual governor itself is sticky.

There is no hand throttle on these unless it was for a variable speed application.

To set the speed is a bit complicated, as there are things to check like the dimension across the governor weights and the locating lines on the fuel pump rack shaft. Why they made it so complex is beyond me...

The governor weights operate a lever which pivots on a fulcrum screw. The lever then moves the fuel pump rack through a small control plate which has the word 'STOP' and an arrow pointing to the left embossed on its bottom front surface.

The control plate is used to start and stop the engine, and an oil cup is provided in the rocker cover for cold weather starting.

All of the linkage should be free to move, any rusted joints etc will cause stickiness and hunting.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

There are two answers here. The first is - That is perfectly normal as you are running it without load and the guvenor is keeping the revs within a range by effectively hitting and missing. There is a screw adjustment at the guvenor. Under load the tone will become constant.

Second answer - The engine is total scrap and I shall be along presently to take it off your hands.

:-)

I think the answer is to get it onto a sawbench, a compressor, a great power planer, or a generator then enjoy it. Is there any lift on the flywheel - main bearing wear?

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Wahlers

Oops! I've always pulled the lever right over to start it, and then left it there :o

Just going to try it with it in the middle.... .... and i'm back. Nope, still does it, and now there are clouds of grey fog coming out my workshop door and floating into the house lol :)

There doesn't seem to be a mid position, theres just the off position, with like a click to get past it, when you push it back towards the off position, theres like a force there bouncing the stick back. But it still does the 'hunting'.

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

Hi, You will find a manual for the LD on the Internal Fire website

Paul

-- ____________________________________

Internal Fire, Museum of Power, Wales

(under construction)

Reply to
Paul Evans

decompressor

I think you're right about the manual lol :) I now see the brass thing, I wondered what that was!! I'm just having a look at the manual, then i'm going to go and try it....

... and i'm back. You guys rock! It runs sweet as a nut now I have something to adjust, although the knob looks like its missing bits. It even sounds quite good, and there's hardly and smoke! The knob is really stiff, had to hit it gently with a mallet to turn it, but it does make a difference. Now all I need is a generator for it to drive - commences looking for one. :)

The number on it is 4615 LD112 - where can I find out what year this was made?

Regards Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

4615 is the serial number LD1 is a single cylinder LD 12 is the year of manufacture, added to 1950 which makes 1962.

Peter

Peter A Forbes