The joys of turning copper

I got two pairs of extra arms for my spot welder off ebay - both Clarkes and from the same source, and needed to turn the ends down to

18mm to suite my SIP spotmatic - nice easy job. One pair of arms turned absolutely beatifully, the other pair were sticky as ****. Presumeably the first set are not pure copper but hardened with some trace alloying element, and the sticky ones I assume to be a purer copper. Not turned much copper, but was aware that pure copper was a bit nasty, but really suprised what a huge difference it made. Very hard to hold a size on the soft stuff.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

We use copper for the pins on our big rail connectors, but I think we use a hard grade as it not only turns better but is less likely to cause a problem on the actual connection.

Pure copper is great for busbars etc but a real PITA to drill and machine.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

I tend to use lubricant on both turning and drilling. Drilling is multi pecked. Copper sticks to the tool cutting edge and as soon as it does you get the problems. Lubricant does not prevent it entirely but it certainly delays the build up and helps keep the generated heat down. My lubricant is a general cutting oil. The same technique is used when dealing with soft PB that has similar problems but not as sever.

Reply to
Alan Marshall

I have heard condensed milk is supposed to be a good lubricant for pure copper. Ditto milk or cream. I've never needed to try this. It might be a good idea to keep the cat out of the workshop or it'll go down with copper poisoning.

Guy

Reply to
Guy Griffin

50 years ago we used parafin - don't hug your girl friend after work or you will be all alone very quickly.
Reply to
Neil Ellwood