[newbie] Greetings and question

Hi all, I just subscribed this NG. I consider myself still a newbie in plastic modelism, but lately I'm spending quite a time practicing and hoping to improve my performance. I read your FAQs and found some useful hints, but not all my questions found an answer...I suppose time will help with that. For now, a simple question: I'm painting a 1/35 Italeri pzkpfw V Panther, using a classic camo scheme I found some pics of: light sand base with rust brown and field green large spots, and a "small dots" motive all around the tank surface. If I remember correctly, this exact camo scheme was in use in

1944 in south Europe, often in Italy. Now the question is: should I want to simulate some stripped paint, what color should I use? Was this kind of camo scheme painted directly on the bare tank hull (in this case, I should use a steel color) or was it painted over a previous camo scheme? I know this happened commonly with earlier panzers in Africa, where the typical german dark grey livery was quickly and roughly painted over with a sand paint, and thus the original color often emerged. But I've never seen a dark grey Panther, so I'm wandering what color, if any, could be under the camo. Any advice would be useful. Thanks.

--

--

Reply to
Darth Tear

I believe the light sand was the color that vehicles were painted in at the factory after they switched from the dark gray.

Reply to
Gary Kato

Stripped as in? You mean chipped, gashed, Impact marks, rubbed or scraped off? What I think your asking is how to what we call weather it. Thats a lot of work and intails a lot of techniques. Most German armor was painted with a red or brownish red primer as a base coat. The camo during the time period your using was applied at the factory. You also need to take into account the anti-mine paste or zimmerit applied to the hull and turret during this time period. Thats for your question. There is just not enough space to explain how to do it to you here so I'll give you a quick one to try then you need to vist one of my favorite armor modeling sites Armorama.com. There you will find many indepth discussions and articles about weathering and a host of other armor subjects. Here's one you can try for chipped paint. First paint your model with red primer let it dry a couple of days. Dap on tiny points of a nonstick substance and then paint it the base color then the camo. After its all dry you can go back and easly lift or scrape the paint off where you put the nonstick revealing the primer underneath. You can even go further by applying the nonstick to the bare hull you painted steel or rust before you painted it with the primer. This is a very realistic looking method though there are easier ways to do it. But in my opinion not as realistic looking if you don't have the experiance to do it.

Reply to
ARMDCAV