JAP2A flywheel magneto

Dear All.

Having gained the confidence to grind values I have started to de-coke and grind the valves on a JAP2A engine. The manual says "remove the flywheel using the special extractor tool". Can I do this without this tool please ? In addition how do I time the engine once I remove the magneto - are there timing marks?

Regards, Ian.

Reply to
kingsnavy

"kingsnavy" wrote in news:3fbf3c85 snipped-for-privacy@mk-nntp-1.news.uk.worldonline.com:

Ian, The JAP 2A manual I have describes undoing the bolt to remove the starter pulley, then drawing off the flywheel with a puller. If no puller is available the manual states that the flywheel should be "grasped firmly and then whilst attempting to pull it off, tapping the end of the crankshaft with a mallet or lead hammer" When re-timing the engine and no timing marks are visible: With the head removed and the flywheel loosely fitted (so it can spin round without turning the engine over), set the piston so it is 3/16" before TDC and rotate the flywheel until the contact breaker points are just starting to open. The flywheel should then be tightened and hopefully you will have a spark 3/16" BTDC.

Best Regards, Matt

Reply to
Matt Keeling