Kelsey Publications

Hello,

I am new to the world of Stationary Engines, and just beginning the restoration of my Lister D.

I have been attempting to get hold of a copy of Stationary Engine Magazine but am really struggling. I have made two attempts to order with Kelsey Publications and am getting nowhere it would seem.

Firstly I tried to get hold of the D-type restoration book and they debited the money from my account. Time went by and nothing arrived, so I emailed them only to be told that the book is out of print. They then agreed to refund me which they did. I then tracked the book down with David Edgington who promptly supplied me with a copy.

My attempts to find Stationary Engine magazine locally failed, so I ordered a copy from their website. Again the money was debited, but no magazine has arrived. It's been well over a week since I ordered and they have begun to ignore my communication. I am greatly disapointed as I had hoped to subscribe to the magazine in due course. If this is the sort of service Kelsey are renowned for, then I will be reluctant to!

I was just wondering if this sort of "customer service" is typical of them or not. Hopefully not! How do members of this group go about obtaining the magazine? Do you subscribe direct with Kelsey, or through your newsagents, who parhaps have more leverage than ourselves?

I don't want to give up on the magazine, as it is obviously an invaluable and high quality publication, but I can see myself getting p'd off with this sort of situation every month.

Hope someone can shed some light/experience.

Many thanks,

Graham

Reply to
Graham Culley

Oh dear, sorry you've had this problem with Kelsey. I've dealt with them for three years or so and must admit to hearing others sometimes complain about speed of service, occasional glitches in communication and the like.

Speaking personally - and as an occasional contributor - I have found them mostly efficient and certainly helpful, courteous, friendly and keen to make amends when they are in the wrong. For instance, I put a classified advert in Stationary Engine Magazine, they got my phone number wrong and they ran the whole thing again the next month. Unfortunately, they put it under "Engines for sale" instead of "wanted" and had to run it a third month in order to put it right. I was impressed with the way they dealt with me and we are all human after all. The coverage was great but did me no good as in all that time I only had one phone call!

I get the impression that they are quite a small organisation and consistently punch above their weight. I suspect a reply will not be long in coming Graham, as the editor (Gordon Wright) has this newsgroup bookmarked with key words, most of which I've deliberately used in this reply ;o))

Regards,

Kim Siddorn, PS welcome to the newsgroup, a more open and erudite group of men (exclusively male, I think) would be hard to find.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Reply to
CHARLES HAMILTON

I must regretfully disagree on almost all counts. ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Interesting comment.

The only problems I have had with Kelsey have been with attempts to submit material by email - they seem a little slow to embrace the benefits of electronic news gathering and publishing!

Reply to
Nick H

I for one can whole heartedly agree with Kim, always delivered early no problems with sending emails AND recieving replies back to say thank you for pictures etc. Graham you dont happen to live in the West Country do you as it may have something to do with the air ay Roland :-))

Mart> Interesting comment.

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I'm not sure that Kelsey (or certainly SEM) has fully embraced the internet, but for my money, while one can find fault with almost anything, SEM is an excellent mag, which I eagerly anticipate towards the end of each month. I particularly applaud the recent move towards more practical copy, and I might well be tempted to buy a Wolseley WD.

I do think that Kim's remark about them punching above their weight (or too much to do and too few staff) is probably right.

I especially enjoy DWE's and Patrick Knight's contributions, and PTE's photos, of course. As I am now a dilettante lathe and mill operator, I'm very glad to see Nigel McBurney back in the saddle again. I think that SEM is the flagship of the engine hobby.

Long live SEM!

Regards, Arthur G

Oh and BTW, Jeni has now subscribed to Kelsey's Practical Poultry, which she says knocks other fowl mags into a cocked hat!

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Whilst at Barleylands, I popped into the Kelsey tent (plastered with Tractor Magazine etc banners but not a sign of SEM) for a copy of DWE's new Lister D book. No luck, in fact the guy said that DWE had not even supplied them with a review copy! What is going on here!

Reply to
Nick H

Written and Published by DWE. Excellent and easy to order from DWE's own site:

ttfn Roland

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven

Perhaps he is going to sell only from his web site?

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Possibly, and of course regular full page ad in SEM. But it does seem a bit limiting. Personally I do like to flick through a book before purchase if at all possible.

Reply to
Nick H

"Prepair Ltd" wrote

Sorry, getting in a mess again with OE top posting and than trying to cut and paste message into right format while ina hurry because I'm supposed to be working! I'll try again:-

Possibly, and of course regular full page ad in SEM. But it does seem a bit limiting. Personally I do like to flick through a book before purchase if at all possible.

Reply to
Nick H

Roly seemed to give it a ringing endorsement, and DWE is pretty meticulous about details in his books. I'm not into Lister D's (although we do have two in the family!) so I won't be looking for a copy.

Peter

Prepair Ltd

Hello all,

I ordered my copy of the restoration book from David Edgington a couple of weeks ago and he said he only had a couple of copies left. Apparently it's out of print at the moment and according to Kelsey won't be in for a few six weeks.

Interestingly enough, after all my troubles with Kelsey, and still awaiting a refund for the magazine that never arrived, I got another email from a different lady. She informed me that the woman I'd been dealing with has left the company and that she will sort out my outstanding issues. We'll have to wait and see...

I'd definetly order the book from David, as he was extremely helpful and friendly when I dealt with him. I can strongly recommend the book and also David's new book titled "The Lister D Story" which I bought at the same time.

Cheerio for now,

Graham

Reply to
Graham Culley

Sorry, I'm getting in a mess too!...

...the book that I mentioned is out of print is the old restoration one on the Lister D. The new book by David Edgington is available from him though, or was 2 weeks ago.

Sorry for the confusion, am half asleep!

Graham

Reply to
Graham Culley

Never doubted it for a moment!

Reply to
Nick H

I am given to understand, on impeccable authority that the reason Kelsey do not sell DWE's new Lister D book is extraordinarily simple "...they didn't ask!" I also understand that several of the normal rally/trade outlets are selling them at a great rate. I reckon that if you want a first edition you'd best get your order in :-)

All of which supports my preference for 'c*ck-up' over conspracy. regards

Reply to
Roland and Celia Craven