Large horizotal diesels

For most of my life I lived on the Lincolnshire Coast, there are pumping stations at numerous points where surplus water is lifted above high tide level for discharge to sea, and each was equipped with (usually two) twin horizontal diesel engines which had a large flywheel ( 8 feet or so ) with the huge centrifugal pump on tha same side. They were started by compressed air supplied by a small diesel engine, the last time I saw these working was at Anderby Creek between Mablethorpe and Skegness in the early '80s. These engines are still in place and the station is now a pumping museum open on certain days in the Summer, although all the stations now use electric pumps.These engines were serviced by Rustons of Lincoln, but I do not know if they were actually made by that firm as I have heard Lister and Blackstone also mentioned . This type of engine was also in use at some of the permanent fairgrounds along the coast, I remember two in use at Mablethorpe and as a boy of fourteen I was never interested in the amusements, I always headed for the power house where I could watch the engines through a ventilation grill ! I was fascinated with the huge flywheel and the valve gear mounted on the back of the cylinder housings. I would like to find out where I can get photos and information on such engines, which to me...even to this day..are things of great beauty and interest I would be pleased to see postings from anyone who has experience of the above and if anyone can post links to sites where I might find info/pictures, that would be fantastic ! Mike.

Reply to
ivan-the.spy

Try

or better still attend the New years day do :-) regards

Reply to
Roland Craven

Roland, Salesmenship at its best, staight in there no messing :-))

Mart> Try

or better still attend the New years day do > :-) regards

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Its the way I was raised. What do you expect from a part Yorks/part RSA mongrel with a dash of Cornish and the odd Yank-shooter :-) BTW during a gruelling day's Xmas shopping I notice that Habitat have some nice dustbin style galvanised bins which would make good cooling tanks... regards Roland

Reply to
Roland Craven

Its a good job we dont have a habitat within striking distance as I am currently knee deep in containers for cooling tanks and have now found a good one for the Lister M

Mart> Its the way I was raised. What do you expect from a part Yorks/part

Reply to
Campingstoveman

I'll take offspring if they start breeding, Martin! :-)

currently knee deep in containers for cooling

Reply to
Arthur G