Lister 2 1/2 hp Engine No. J15805

G'Day to you all from the Colonies - Wellington, New Zealand.

I have inherited a Lister 2 1/2 (450 RPM) Petrol Engine No. J15805 and now have to move it from its present location. It is complete, turns over freely but has not run for some 10 years. I intend to restore it over time. My question to the experts is: When was it Built? What does it weigh etc?. Is there a Mailing site which I can join to gain knowledge and ask questions or is this address used for this purpose? Books about Lister are not available in my local Library. Any and all help and suggestions appreciated.

Colin Watson snipped-for-privacy@xtra.co.nz New Zealand

Reply to
xtr652513

Hi Colin, you've found the right place to ask questions.

The number you quote indicates a J type Lister built in Dursley, Gloucestershire, England between 1915 and 1920.

I don't know the weight but would guess about 200-250kg. Some of the other regulars here may be able to provide a more accurate answer.

If you write to David Edgington, Lodge Wood Farm, Hawkeridge, Westbury, Wiltshire, England. He should be able to date it precisely from the old Lister books. He can also provide you with a copy of his book "KnowYour Lister - type H,J,K,LM,N,P,Q,R" I don't know the price. There is a website you can order it from:

I have no connection with Mr. Edgington, apart from gratitude for dating info he has supplied me with over the past few years.

Hope this helps, Regards, Arthur G

Reply to
Arthur Griffin & Jeni Stanton

Gloucestershire, England between 1915 and 1920.

The sequence of production would suggest that the end of 1915 is the nearest that could be estimated, but as Arthur suggests, contacting David Edgington would get you a more accurate date plus other stuff.

David has an advertisement inside the cover of all Stationary Engine magazine issues.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Hi Colin, Have a look at Pete Aldous's pages at

return to his first page for more information.

-- Dave Croft Warrington England

Map
Map

dave croft