Mills Pin

Would someone be kind enough to explain in simple terms what a "Mills Pin" is please? TIA

Reply to
Max

Not 100% sure, but I think it's another term for a roll pin - one of those little 'swiss rolls' of spring steel used as a dowel.

Reply to
Nick H

I don't suppose this is the pin you mean.

this one is not recommended. 8^)

Reply to
Dave Croft

Tapered pin. They can in solid and split. Taper was 1/4" inch per foot.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Thanks all, so assuming I want a 1/4 inch diameter, 1 3/4 inch long pin, where would I measure the diameter if they're tapered? Thanks again

Reply to
Max

Large end:

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Just found out, a Mills pin isn't tapered at all, thanks for the mis-info Tom

Reply to
Max

There is a fair amount of leeway for error on all sides, the generic term 'groove pin' maybe best describes what used to be called a Mills Pin.

They are available in:

Fully tapered Fully parallel Half taper/parallel Grooved in the centre section only

and so on.

DIN 1471 Full-length Taper DIN 1472 Half length taper DIN 1473 Full-length Parallel DIN 1474 Half-Length Reverse Taper DIN 1475 One Third Length Centre Groove DIN 1478 Half Length Centre Groove

There is probably a BS standard somewhere as well. Peter

Prepair Ltd