mini engines

What is the smallest deisel engine that can be easily got hold of ? I'm thinking about running a mini generator, 4 amps @ 12v.

Forget anything that small, the smallest pumps and injectors are for 1.5hp to 2hp engines, and that 48W load could almost be run by a small model engine.
In IC terms, petrol are probably the most available, there may well be tiny diesels around but if you want anything with a bit of life and spares availability then a larger engine would be better.
Look on ebay at the 'mini-motors' that are being sold, they came off the little kids scooters etc.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web: http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel
How about chain saw engines etc?
Regards,
Kim Siddorn. May the Fourth Be With You.

Kim Siddorn wrote:

I'd steer clear of little two stroke engines. They are fine when they're being thrashed, as in a chain saw, or a kiddy bike, but won't take kindly to pottering along. They'll tend to oil up. It's perhaps a bit big, but a 4 stroke lawnmower engine will be very reliable, and is likely to come with a speed governor, so will automatically cope with change of load on your generator. Also cheap to find and easy to fix.
Wilfrid Underwood
An ex lawn mower engine is a good idea. Beware of the lousy efficiency of most small generators though. I built one some years back driving a car alternator. I very carefully worked out the electrical power then added some. The combination was all connected and started. Great I though. Then I connected a load and the motor stalled dead. Not the gradual slowing down but a sudden bump and she stopped. I now have to run the alternator at well below it's rated output to make sure it works. Even now, a flat battery makes it struggle.
Of course Kim, if you make a set like this, you can show it at steam fairs and get in for free :-)
John
Wot? He said waking with a start. Was that aimed at me? Ducks just in case............
I've a Petter AA1 attached to a 24 volt alternator - came from a nice chap on this 'ere list - two flat 12volts do make it grunt a bit & it's no lightweight, after all. The exhaust note is impressive & it's not a device one would want to run after ten in the evening.
If searching for a power unit, use a Honda OHC four stroke motorcycle based unit, now licence built in China. Not expensive, powerful, reliable & frugal.
--

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.
Motor wrote:

This do ya' ?
http://www.whispergen.com /
BugBear
Try a solar panel

Didn't the OP say something about a diesel?
John
Virus Database (VPS): 0619-1, 10/05/2006
Motor wrote:

Have you considered burning the diesel and using a thermoelectric generator or thermocouple from the heat?
Regards,
Bob R. Moses Lake, WA USA