Mushroom headed "nuts"

What is the correct name for these thigs. theu are mushroom headed and internally threaded 8mm. If I know the proper name then I can find some for sale. See

brightside S9

"blind nut" or "rivnut"?

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Rivnuts have a through hole. At least, all those I've seen have. Thay are like threaded pop rivets but may do the job. There are various other names for the ones you're after, female bolts and sleeve nuts come to mind. The name seems to vary with the application. Unfortunately, both names are used for other types as well. They're used a lot in furniture. Try here.

tend to be used where you don't want exposed threads so try looking at things where H&S is important such as baby buggies, desks, wheel chairs, etc. Martin P may come across them in his line of work.

John

Reply to
John

Thanks John, they are indeed required to repair some furniture. And even better the item shown on the URL will take a hex (I think) key to assist tightening.

I'll do some searching now I know what they are called.

Reply to
brightside S9

here.http://www.bolts-nuts-washers.com/Furniture%20Connector%20Caps.htm> They tend to be used where you don't want exposed threads so try

IKEA use these in their furniture. In our local store, by the customer returns desk there are bins full of all sorts of fixings and fastenings, for customers to help themselves if some were missing from the pack. So if you only want a few....

David

Reply to
David Mack

here.http://www.bolts-nuts-washers.com/Furniture%20Connector%20Caps.htm>> They tend to be used where you don't want exposed threads so try

Thaks David. So far I have only found suppliers who want to deal in hundreds or won't even talk to the general public.

Reply to
brightside S9

Have a look in the DIY sheds, they are used to fix kitchen units together. Your M8 requirement might scupper that idea though, from memory the shed ones are M6 or there abouts.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hmm, quite a few years back I remember a place called Apex Fasteners in Slough that would deal with the public over the counter for small quantities - have a google, maybe they're still going (or maybe some searching along the lines of 'fasteners' and 'UK' will turf up someone more local to you).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

When I have a problem like that, I usually sit down at the computer and google something like "special nut" then find a manufacturers site and trawl through the pix until I find what I want. When I knowwhat its called I google that or search ebay if small quantities are required. Trouble is places like ebay people often call them other things! Pete

--

Reply to
THE DOUGLAS STATIONARY ENGINE RESOURCE (admin)

"THE DOUGLAS STATIONARY ENGINE RESOURCE (admin)" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk...

Google image search is very good for that.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Try "Clarkenwell screws" or "Nookies Nuts". They specialize in small quantities for classic rebuilders.

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Can't find web sites for either. Clerkenwell screws have a site under condtruction (wholesale) called

However thanks to everybody for their suggestions. I have temporarily repaired the item use stainless stell cup square bolts, penny washers and nyloc nuts.

I'll have to spend more time looking for the correct item later.

Reply to
brightside S9