New Thread!!

We seem to have exhausted the "People I have met" topic, how about, at "Mike
H's" suggestion, people you would have liked to meet. Mine would be a
difficult choice between Abraham Lincoln and Winston Churchill!!
Reply to
Charles Hamilton
No one - I have enough trouble conversing with 'ordinary' people I don't know well!
However, if pushed, Robert Stirling would be my choice. I'd love to be able to settle the question (originally posed by Allan Organ); What experimental or theoretical work might have lead up to the design of this entirely novel prime mover which, such little history as there is, generally records as having sprung fully formed in 1816 from the mind of a 26 year old village pastor with a sideline interest in technology?
NHH
Charles Hamilt> We seem to have exhausted the "People I have met" topic, how about, at > "Mike H's" suggestion, people you would have liked to meet. Mine would > be a difficult choice between Abraham Lincoln and Winston Churchill!!
Reply to
Nick H
settle the question (originally posed by Allan
of this entirely novel prime mover which, such
1816 from the mind of a 26 year old village pastor
Hi Nick, I would like to ask Robert if his cycle had deraileur gears or Sturmey Archer gears. Sorry, I'll get my coat. 8^)
Reply to
Dave Croft
You are quite right to be ashamed of yourself for that one Dave - may your little oil bath chain case drip for all eternity ;-)
NHH
Dave Croft wrote:
Sturmey Archer gears.
Reply to
Nick H
Sturmey Archer gears.
little oil bath chain case drip for all eternity ;-)
Well you know in my case I am definitely not serious. I have a bad case of the Sterling bug! see
Dave Croft
Sturmey Archer gears.
little oil bath chain case drip for all eternity ;-)
And I believe the bicycle bug, hence my Sunbeam inspired riposte!
NHH
Reply to
Nick H
Gentlemen,
I have no one in particular because I would want to chat with any engineer of note to understand what made them come up with the original idea's, politically even though he and I are poles apart I could talk and listen to Tony Benn forever, there is a politician who is not only well read but intelligent as well which is more than can be said for most of the modern lot.
Nick your biggest problem is that you under sell your abilities and that comes from somebody who believe it or not has a similar problem to you. I have taught myself to put up a believable front which unless I am taken to far from my comfort zone works.
Martin P
Reply to
campingstoveman
My father used to work "with" (same building) and met regularly Winston C. during the war. One of my regrets to this day, is that I never discussed the nature of this "with" with my father, who is no longer with us.
Regards Pete

Pete Stockdale
My Dad was always reluctant to discuss his war involvement,even to this day.
Reply to
Charles Hamilton
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 11:51:38 -0000, "kimsiddorn" finished tucking into their plate of fish, chips and mushy peas. Wiping their mouths, they swigged the last of their cup of tea, paid the bill and wrote::
No woman from history for me - just a missed opportunity with a girl I fancied, but didn't realise was in trouble at a social event we both attended, more years ago than I care to remember. If I'd rescued her, life might have been totally different - not that I've not been content with my life over the last 40 years or so - it's just the "what if?" scenario.
Brian L Dominic
Web Site:
Newsgroup readers should note that the reply-to address is NOT read: To email me, please send to brian(dot)dominic(at)tiscali(dot)co(dot)uk
Reply to
Brian Dominic