O/T Remarkable Rust Inhibitor

It seems peat is a marvellous rust inhibitor - look at:

I presume that there must have been precious little oxygen in that lake

Taken from the models.engneering news group, thought others on here would be interested.

Regards

Andy M

Reply to
andyengine

I once saw a Bristol Aero Engines Pegasus XX, the first of the sleeve valve Peggys. It had been recovered from a reservoir near Bolton & three cylinders were damaged by corrosion. Imagine this radial engine being buried in the silt at the bottom of the lake. It has one cylinder exposed & partially, two more. It looked like someone had drawn a line across it and cut it off with a jagged knife.

Most of the engine was fit for further use & the RNAS at Yeovilton recovered many useful spares from it.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn