OT New digital TV for the caravan.

The north west converts to digital TV between 4/11 & 2/12/2009. (see http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/ & insert your postcode)
My home TV is fine but I thought of the 12v TV in the caravan. I cannot find any digital converters that work on 12v. I just bought a flat screen 15" 12v television to replace the tube version but found that its screen could only be viewed from directly in front. If you could see the picture when stood up it was cr*p when you sat down. I returned the TV to the shop & was told that I needed a TFT screen model but they had no 12v models. Does anyone have any ideas or know of a good supplier.
--
Dave Croft
Warrington
Dave Croft wrote:

might be worth posting to uk.rec.motorcaravans and uk.rec.caravanning.

Dave,
I bought a MEOS 20inch 12v set for the caravan from here:--
http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/Diddy-Digital__W0QQ_armrsZ1
They do smaller models, mine has a built in DVD player, SD card slot etc. all for 218 The viewing angle is good but the screen reflects when switched of but I don't see it as a problem. Power consumption is reasonable. Good service from them, and I am pleased with the set (usual disclaimers apply).
Pete Aldous
www.stationaryengine.org

We bought a MEOS 12V LCD TV for the caravan. It can record onto a memory stick for time shifting and can time slip (pause real time TV) onto it as well. The only problem with time slip is the subtitles come on and I can't turn them off. Even worse, they're in real time so you read the plot XX mins ahead of the picture! Other than that, it seems a good set so far and has replaced our original TV from 1980. Now I can watch colour TV in the caravan. The down side is it gets CITV so getting the sprogs moving is a hard job.
John
On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 10:58:39 +0100, Dave Croft wrote:

Odd I was peering at the cheap boxes in Asda/Tesco last week and most of those live of DC from a wall wart and IIRC it was 12v...
I'm looking for one with an integral channel number display for use as a radio unconnected to a TV.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Dave Liquorice wrote:

That's a good idea - probably cheaper than a DAB tuner.
NHH
On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 11:35:19 +0100, Nick H wrote:

use
Probably better quality than DAB and I think with a wider choice of stations. Both require you to be in a digital coverage area though. We do have a DAB set but the suplied bit of damp string doesn't produce and DAB stations and DSO isn't until 2012 on the local relay but we *might* be able to get something from Caldbeck.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Isn't it possible to alter the mount angle so You are looking at it square on whatever your orientation. We had a similar problem with our bedroom lcd. only place it would go and not be in the way was on top of a tall chest of drawers and viewing from bed gave a "blank" screen so i altered the mount til it was viewable from bed, job done!!!

Problem mainly solved!! I found out that Tesco's TVonics 40 digibox when you open the box you find out that not only will it work on a TV with no scart socket but it uses a plug type 12V supply. I can now re-use my convential 12V TV on digital in the caravan. It seems to work very well and is even made in England. 8^)
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

I have just discovered what an idiot my age has made me!! When I looked at the voltage it is only 5.3 volts and if I hadn't put the van away before trying the unit at home I would have damaged it. It works fine at home but no use for a touring van away from mains. I rang the firm and they don't make a 12v to 5V converter. I apologise to everyone for my stupidity.
Dave Croft http://www.oldengine.org/members/croft / http://community.webshots.com/user/crftdv

What current does it take? - is it specified on the mains adaptor or elsewhere? A 12-volt-in 5-volt-out USB-socketed charging adaptor, something like this perhaps
http://www.netpcdirect.co.uk/car-12v-socket-adapters/usb_car_charger_adap ter.html
ought to supply up to 1 amp and should be OK if the digibox doesn't mind 0.3 volts less than spec.
--
Regards,
Andrew Marshall, G8BUR, M0MAA.

Thanks for that Andrew. I have stored the site for the spring when I get the van back. The converter uses a maximum of 1 Amp so it probably would be OK.
--
Dave Croft
Warrington

No problem. That particular converter is specced at the full 1A, but I've seen others rated at only 0.5A. Alternatively a 7805 regulator on a decent heat sink, plus the usual input and output decoupling capacitors, should work fine, and give a bit of safety margin too, as it's rated at 1.5A.
--
Regards,
Andrew Marshall, G8BUR, M0MAA.
Dave Croft wrote:

Plenty of 5v regs (LM????) around if you dont mind lifting a soldering iron. Probably switch mode ones as well if you want to keep dissipation down.
NHH
The previously mentioned 21" LCD we have in our bedroom is a "UMC" TV/DVD combined and has an in-line transformer in the mains cable which is 230v in and 12vDC out, so is obviously a 12v set.