TV Interference

Can anyone tell me how to reduce or eliminate interference on all our TV's when running our trains?
Aitch

On 13/02/2008 17:36, Dave H said,

You don't say what you've tried already or what sort of age your stock is, but clean wheels and tracks are the first step. Then make sure the interference suppression components are still fitted to the motors. That should get rid of most, if not all interference, but there are other steps to take if necessary.
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /
Paul Boyd wrote:

OK, clearly I am a non-techie model railwayer!
I haven't tried anything, as I don't know what - that's why I posted.
I have Hornby/Bachman OO guage engines from 2 to 45 years old. We get horizontal dotted lines on all TV's when the trains are running - I don't think it is engine specific. The trains are in a shed in the garden.
Does this help?
Aitch

There was quite a lot of comments about this on mremag not so long back, worth reading those. But basically its a case of sort out your tv arial and cabling - they are most likely the problem.
Cheers, Simon
Yes I agree with Simon ....... how old is your aerial installation ( and for that matter your TV ) ?
Poor shielding can cause problems.
PECO do a set of "Shows You How Booklets - Series 2" which includes '10 Curing TV Interference' http://www.peco-uk.com/Publications/Otherpubns.htm
You could also consider an aerial fitted with a balun http://www.satelliteonline.co.uk/aerial_48_element.htm
Chris
Dragon Heart wrote:

Contrary to what that article states, a balun reduces neither noise nor interference. It removes *standing waves* which is critical for good digital reception but not so important for analogue. One aerial brand in particular (Televes) has a _combined balun and masthead amplifier_ which is possibly where the confusion originated.
(kim)
simon said the following on 13/02/2008 23:11:

These were the other solutions I was referring to, but I feel it's better to try to eliminate or reduce the problem at source first of all. Besides, it may not be Dave H's TV that's picking up the interference!
Actually, John Turner replied with what was my first instinctive response :-)
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

I agree with Paul, sort it out at source rather than trying to shield the TV.

Yes but the source of the problem could be the cable/arial is too sensitive. Today its the OP's own trains, tomorrow the vacuum cleaner and next week a neighbours appliance.
Cheers, Simon

Or equally, today it could be the OP's TV, tomorrow the neighhbour's TV, next week half the neighbourhood when he starts double heading ;-). I just think ( with 20 odd years experience in RF design / EMC issues) that trying to cure the problem at source is a better first step than improving the immunity of the Freeview(? assuming it is Freeview) box & downlead. I do, however, agree that some Freeview boxes seem particularly sensitive to impulsive interference, and in some situations a decent quality double screened downlead will help / cure matters. I just don't think it should be the first step in this particular case, particularly as the OP states " all our TVs" rather than just one, and thsi might good old analogue TV anyway..
Oh yes, I do like Bill Wright's site, spent many a happy our browsing the dodgy aerial installations part :-)
simon wrote:

I absolutely agree with this, cable quality is absolutely paramount, particularly with regards to Digital Television. You should also run your wiring in CT100 grade cable.
I have no affiliation to this guy but I trust him implicitly.
www.wrightsaerials.tv
Regards,
Rob.

Depends on one's location, aerial and performance of the freeview box, I get 100% rock solid Freeview via a nine quid Screwfix aerial and yards of 30 year old brown co-ax, I'm not on top of the transmitter either: CT100 isn't absolutely paramount in all circumstances. Fixing the problem at source is likely to be a LOT cheaper and quicker than replacing the co-ax with CT100 or similar double screened cable.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Possibly yes I agreee, but for that to work you must be in a pretty god field strength region. I am in the middle of Wales (the Kerry tramway?) and I get freeview service from Winter Hill near Huddersfield. I had to go to a lot of effort for my telly. I learnt a lot about TV reception as well. And I don't like heights either!
Cheers, Rob.

Gosh yes, having looked at the most comprehensive reception predictor I know of for Freeview:-
http://www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe ?
and using random postcodes for Newtown, Powys I get no reception predicted whatsoever! Must've been 'fun' getting reception round there, I home the programmes were worth the effort ;-). I'm on the edge of the New Forest, a few trees to contend with, but mostly water between me and Rowridge IOW, hence I can get a good signal with old crap.
Robert Wilson wrote:

Oi! Get it right! Winter Hill is near BOLTON!
Just trying to get my TV reception sorted. I think I'm a little too close to Winter Hill - 6 miles so I can get strong signals with a bit of bent wire, but getting good digital is proving troublesome
P.
--
Paul Matthews
snipped-for-privacy@cattytown.me.uk

With some Freeview boxes, early ones in particular, too much signal upsets them as much as too little. Either that or maybe there's some other transmitter mucking the signal up.

Winter Hill is the site of the original ITV North-West TV transmitter completed in 1956; the current tubular steel mast was built in 1965. Emley Moor transmitter is located close the M1 near Huddersfield. It's a 1,084 ft concrete and steel structure built to replace a mast, similar to that at Winter Hill, which collapsed in 1969 under the weight of ice. Moorside Edge and Holme Moss radio transmitters are a few miles away.
--
Martin S.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Not where I live. The aerial is on top of a nearby 14-storey tower block but the cable is of 405-line VHF vintage. By the time the signal reaches me, theres hardly any digital channel to speak-of.
(kim)
"Dave H" wrote

Yup - turn the telly off - there's nowt worth watching these days.
John.
John Turner wrote:

I've not suffered from any TV interference for years.
(at least if we exclude letters saying "you are a criminal who will be locked up for ever", which need to go in the recycling every now and then)
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK