TV Interference

Possibly yes I agreee, but for that to work you must be in a pretty god field strength region. I am in the middle of Wales (the Kerry tramway?) and I get freeview service from Winter Hill near Huddersfield. I had to go to a lot of effort for my telly. I learnt a lot about TV reception as well. And I don't like heights either!

Cheers, Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson

Gosh yes, having looked at the most comprehensive reception predictor I know of for Freeview:-

and using random postcodes for Newtown, Powys I get no reception predicted whatsoever! Must've been 'fun' getting reception round there, I home the programmes were worth the effort ;-). I'm on the edge of the New Forest, a few trees to contend with, but mostly water between me and Rowridge IOW, hence I can get a good signal with old crap.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Oi! Get it right! Winter Hill is near BOLTON!

Just trying to get my TV reception sorted. I think I'm a little too close to Winter Hill - 6 miles so I can get strong signals with a bit of bent wire, but getting good digital is proving troublesome

P.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

With some Freeview boxes, early ones in particular, too much signal upsets them as much as too little. Either that or maybe there's some other transmitter mucking the signal up.

Reply to
airsmoothed

Winter Hill is the site of the original ITV North-West TV transmitter completed in 1956; the current tubular steel mast was built in 1965. Emley Moor transmitter is located close the M1 near Huddersfield. It's a 1,084 ft concrete and steel structure built to replace a mast, similar to that at Winter Hill, which collapsed in 1969 under the weight of ice. Moorside Edge and Holme Moss radio transmitters are a few miles away.

Reply to
MartinS

What pigs me off is having to pay for a TV licence when I'm also paying for Satellite TV and don't have an off-air aerial. APPARENTLY you are even required to pay for a licence if you watch steamed programs off the internet or use a DVD player into a TV set if that set is CAPABLE of receiving off-air!

The only interference I get is blackouts when the rain is heavy :)

On the subject of generated interference - there are two sides to each problem. YES radiated interference needs to be controlled, and if commercial equipment is causing a problem, then the manufacturer is obviously not meeting the EMC regulations. But those same EMC regulations apply to the television receivers, and they must be designed NOT to be susceptible. Obviously if the interference is being created in the same band as the TV is trying to receive then there is a problem, but if the interference is travelling via the mains, or not in band, then both ends may be at fault.

Yes it may not be so easy to 'pass the buck', but it may also not be possible to do anything about it if the MAIN problem is actually at the neighbours end of things. Being a licensed radio amateur I've had this problem several times in the past, and simply soldering the connections on a neighbours aerial fixed things one time. I'm not sure of the current position, but in the good old days one could ring up and get the licensing people to come as sort out an interference problem for you - a service which I never used - but one which would probably be useful today when these sorts of problems arise.

Back to the 'problem' - people are assuming that the problem is 'radiated'. If the controller is on the same mains circuit ( and that may be a common cable from the 'road' as is the case in many semi-detached houses ) then a simple 'RFI' filtered mains block may be a good starting point. We have been having fun with a few CNC systems when the motor controller is affecting other things and simply moving that mains input to another place changes the effect. Drop in a mains filter and the problem is solved. A few pound mains filter should be the first element in any modern mains powered set-up, but often is simply dropped to save money :(

Reply to
Lester Caine

Not where I live. The aerial is on top of a nearby 14-storey tower block but the cable is of 405-line VHF vintage. By the time the signal reaches me, theres hardly any digital channel to speak-of.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Easily cured, stop paying for satellite :o)

A TV license is only required for a PC if it includes an off-air receiver card.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

On 16/02/2008 13:09, Lester Caine said,

The bit about DVD players isn't strictly true. I looked into this a while ago when I was thinking about ditching the TV completely without losing the ability to watch DVDs. Although the law says you have to have a license if your equipment "is capable of receiving", the basic premise is that if you have no aerial then it's incapable of receiving a signal. It isn't as straightforward as just unplugging your aerial if an inspector calls though!

The relevant bit of the TV licensing FAQ is:- ==================================================================== What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?

You need to notify us in writing that this is the case and one of our Enforcement Officers may need to visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence. ====================================================================

Reply to
Paul Boyd

"Paul Boyd" wrote

On the strength of that I reckon anyone with a PC & an internet connection needs a TV licence as virtually all are capable of receiving a streamed signal from the likes of the BBC.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

On 16/02/2008 20:04, John Turner said,

On the face of it, yes. I'd like to see the TV licensing people try to effectively charge people who don't have a TV license for owning an internet connected PC though!

Reply to
Paul Boyd

hell yes, lets tell them to go after PC users as there's 1.5 billion broadband world-wide and at 135 quid a shot we could have a BBC that could do anything (although they would probably spend it on management consultants, soap operas and reality tv)

Andy Carr

Reply to
Andrew Carr

Streaming video of BBC and ITV programmes is not available to anyone connecting through a non-UK IP, since they can't sell TV licences outside the UK.

Reply to
MartinS