TV Interference

Arthur Figgis said the following on 14/02/2008 17:32:

We used to have that when I was a kid. "Can I see your TV license please?". "We haven't got one". "Do you know that it's a criminal offence blah-jail-blah". "No, we haven't got a television."
Cue look of stunned amazement as if we'd just stepped off a different planet. Even now I watch maybe just 3 or 4 programs a month. (Which I guess is 3 or 4 more than you!!)
We had a letter at work the other month threatening to throw us all in jail if we didn't send their silly form back. We didn't send the form back...
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

wow you are missing out, nearly every morning its Noddy, the flower something or other followed by a (to me) annoying teacher on big school. Highlight is sat and sun with jane and the Dragon.
Cheers, Simon

& Thomas the Tank x 2 !

We get those now and again. Apparently civil servants have time to watch TV at work........
Cheers Richard
--
www.beamends-lrspares.co.uk snipped-for-privacy@beamends-lrspares.co.uk
I have become... comfortably numb
Paul Boyd wrote:

What pigs me off is having to pay for a TV licence when I'm also paying for Satellite TV and don't have an off-air aerial. APPARENTLY you are even required to pay for a licence if you watch steamed programs off the internet or use a DVD player into a TV set if that set is CAPABLE of receiving off-air!
The only interference I get is blackouts when the rain is heavy :)
On the subject of generated interference - there are two sides to each problem. YES radiated interference needs to be controlled, and if commercial equipment is causing a problem, then the manufacturer is obviously not meeting the EMC regulations. But those same EMC regulations apply to the television receivers, and they must be designed NOT to be susceptible. Obviously if the interference is being created in the same band as the TV is trying to receive then there is a problem, but if the interference is travelling via the mains, or not in band, then both ends may be at fault.
Yes it may not be so easy to 'pass the buck', but it may also not be possible to do anything about it if the MAIN problem is actually at the neighbours end of things. Being a licensed radio amateur I've had this problem several times in the past, and simply soldering the connections on a neighbours aerial fixed things one time. I'm not sure of the current position, but in the good old days one could ring up and get the licensing people to come as sort out an interference problem for you - a service which I never used - but one which would probably be useful today when these sorts of problems arise.
Back to the 'problem' - people are assuming that the problem is 'radiated'. If the controller is on the same mains circuit ( and that may be a common cable from the 'road' as is the case in many semi-detached houses ) then a simple 'RFI' filtered mains block may be a good starting point. We have been having fun with a few CNC systems when the motor controller is affecting other things and simply moving that mains input to another place changes the effect. Drop in a mains filter and the problem is solved. A few pound mains filter should be the first element in any modern mains powered set-up, but often is simply dropped to save money :(
--
Lester Caine - G8HFL
-----------------------------
Lester Caine wrote:

Easily cured, stop paying for satellite :o)

A TV license is only required for a PC if it includes an off-air receiver card.
(kim)
On 16/02/2008 13:09, Lester Caine said,

The bit about DVD players isn't strictly true. I looked into this a while ago when I was thinking about ditching the TV completely without losing the ability to watch DVDs. Although the law says you have to have a license if your equipment "is capable of receiving", the basic premise is that if you have no aerial then it's incapable of receiving a signal. It isn't as straightforward as just unplugging your aerial if an inspector calls though!
The relevant bit of the TV licensing FAQ is:- ===================================================================What if I only use a TV to watch videos/DVDs/as a monitor for my games console? Do I still need a licence?
You need to notify us in writing that this is the case and one of our Enforcement Officers may need to visit you to confirm that you do not need a licence. ===================================================================
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

On the strength of that I reckon anyone with a PC & an internet connection needs a TV licence as virtually all are capable of receiving a streamed signal from the likes of the BBC.
John.
On 16/02/2008 20:04, John Turner said,

On the face of it, yes. I'd like to see the TV licensing people try to effectively charge people who don't have a TV license for owning an internet connected PC though!
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

connection
hell yes, lets tell them to go after PC users as there's 1.5 billion broadband world-wide and at 135 quid a shot we could have a BBC that could do anything (although they would probably spend it on management consultants, soap operas and reality tv)
Andy Carr

Streaming video of BBC and ITV programmes is not available to anyone connecting through a non-UK IP, since they can't sell TV licences outside the UK.
--
Martin S.

This topic was discussed at great length and in some detail on http://www.mremag.com/ at the end of January.
BVM
snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote:

Many thanks to all of you - especially pointing me in the direction of mremag which I didn't know about.
Aitch