For those who like Myth Busters

I just ran across this list of some past episodes and thought I'd pass it on.

dennis in nca

Reply to
rigger

Hey, I'm kinda on the fence about Myth busters. Do they promote interest in science or do they encourage unscientific experiments? Engineman

I just ran across this list of some past episodes and thought I'd pass

Reply to
engineman1

I've watched that show a couple of times and I find there's an awful lot of things that are more worthwhile. Seems to me to be just more lowest-common-denominator stuff.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Have you watched the show? They're pretty obvious when they launch into hard science, what with the claxxons and "Warning: Science content" banner.

And from a kids learning about science while being entertained, what's wrong with a "Hey, I wonder if I try this, let's measure and observe" kind of thinking? Sure, most of what they do could be done faster and more accurately by plugging it into a bit of math but, doesn't make for such good TV that way.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It would be nice if they would have someone knowledgeable double check what they're doing and saying. They get some stuff wrong and some right. Hardening on the chipped hammer segment was wrong for instance. Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

They redid that one, and got it mostly right the next time. However they changed the goalposts from chipping to shattering. I know about the revisit because I had a response to them that I was supposed to present at a convention they were attending and the show with the revisit came out 3 days before the convention.

Plus the format of the panel I was on with them got changed with no notice, so I didn't get to present anything.

Still thinking about putting the video for it up on youtube.

Reply to
Todd Rich

I can't watch the show. Too much bad science.

Can't stand CSI for the same reason. A cub scout with a public library computer could do better research than the writers for that show do.

(Ever seen a cartridge case that had it's markings laser etched around the primer pocket? Featured prominently in one of the few episodes I watched all the way through.)

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

"Trevor Jones"

It's deliberate; they obviously can't give away all of the techniques used by actual forensics scientists, so they blend enough reality with fiction to fool the overwhelming majority of their viewing audience (and/or those willing to suspend their disbelief for the purpose of being entertained. )

Myself, I can't stand the show (CSI); it's like watching an hour's worth of ten second soundbites and flashy post-production tricks.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

--FWIW they turned me on to some until-then unknown treasures in the junkyard where they get a lot of their stuff, heh.

Reply to
steamer

Their science can be weak at times but we arent their target audience. Their target audience is either younger or not hard scientific.

I DO give them respect for being the only show on television who takes prode in the audience publicly calling them wrong and revisiting the issues (A la Chicken Cannon)

Agreed hard science types are going to find it soft. But in all honesty i hope at least several thousand (Hundred thousand hopefully) people who wouldnt watch a science show or documentary at gunpoint could enjoy watching the dummy get destroyed with an underlying science theme

I like the idea of monster garage as well to show creativity and craftsmanship Not for the stupid drama and arguments, Which it had to entertain some audience members. (American Chopper and Hotrod are about the arguments/firings and beeped out sections and NOT about building cars or bikes)

And frankly I'd take Mythbusters over sitcoms any day when i do watch TV (Ok i allow myself the simpsons on sunday evening) Taken in Context of Talkshows, Sitcoms, Soap operas (American chopper/hotrod are in the soap opera department in my books) Mythbusters are IMO near the top of what passes for TV

But Take TV at whatever value or lack of value you wish.

Obviously YMMV

Brent Ottawa Canada

Reply to
Brent

Scrap heap challenge was good before it got "yankeeized", also full metal challenge Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

They do mention the website a time or three per episode, there is a lively discussion group there.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I saw the revisit. Myth Busters is actually one of my favorite shows. It's certainly not just them, there're mistakes on many of the History Channel and Discovery Channel shows. I'd just like the job to double check them. Simpsons is one of the few network shows I watch. Favorite channels anyone? mine are. Discovery Channel History Channel Food Network SciFi Channel Karl

Reply to
kfvorwerk

South Park is one of my favorites, on the rare occasions I watch the Glass Tit.

Nothing/no one is sacred

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

They just encourage me to watch Kari Byron on there ... Phew! :-)

Reply to
Pogo

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 03:07:55 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Pogo" quickly quoth:

Ah, so there's method to your madness, guys! I hadn't watched the program long enough to have seen her. There's a socially redeeming feature to that show after all, eh?

(bottom left pic) What's she doing with that pickle, Danger? (And how do I make my voice do this?)

- Metaphors Be With You -

Reply to
Larry Jaques